This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Allergy?

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi all!

I am so overwhelmed right now. I have super itchy skin rash for the last two months that will not go away. I've been to two doctors so far -my PCP and derm. They gave me predisone. It helped, but it didn't go away. AT first I thought it was poison ivy, but I think the predisone should have taken it away if that was the case. The derm doctor gave me two kinds of cream,  took a biopsy and it came back as just an allergy. So it's not DH. I didn't change any products, but I am really sensitive to fragrance. I have to buy fragrance free products. And the weird thing about the rash is it's on my stomach, shoulders, back, arms and legs, but not my face. It makes me wonder if it's my laundry detergent, but I haven't changed that either.

So now I'm starting to think it's a corn or soy allergy. I've been doing some research and corn is in everything. I've suspected that I have a corn intolerance since I've been gluten free. I can't eat any of the gluten free cereals except for maybe one or two. and that's only once a week. I know I can't over do it on processed foods. And the last two months I've been going a little crazy with Frito's, so I've been eating more corn lately. Then yesterday I had a gluten free cereal, Frito's and popcorn all in the same day and I swear it looks like the rash has gotten worse. :( The cream the derm doctor gave me is helping, but it's just not going away.

I'm not sure what to do. Today I'm trying not to eat any corn products, but I think I already did without knowing it. I think it's in my salad dressing. I've been tested for a corn allergy with blood work and it came back negative, but I heard these tests aren't really accurate.

Sorry, I'm so depressed here, but I'm just so bummed. It's hard enough to be gluten free and I think corn might be even harder to avoid. I'll really miss my chips.  :(

So does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go to my allergy doctor to get more testing for a corn or soy allergy or should I just try to avoid them on my own?

Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Did your derm take a biopsy of CLEAR skin right next to an ACTIVE lesion? From what I have read here, a lot of dermatologists don't know how to do a DH biopsy correctly.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Did your derm take a biopsy of CLEAR skin right next to an ACTIVE lesion? From what I have read here, a lot of dermatologists don't know how to do a DH biopsy correctly.

I'm not sure. That's interesting though. They actually took two biopsy's from my bum. :( I'll have to make sure it's not a gluten issue for sure and go through everything again, too. I am very careful and I've been keeping a food log for the last almost 4 years now. I am very sensitive. And I swear the only time I have any health problems it's always, always because I'm getting a small amount of gluten that I'm unaware of. And it's usually from gluten-free vitamins. :( I've been taking Kirkman Lab vitamins for the last two years without any problems, but you never know. Gluten is sneaky. I have been eating more Frito's lately and I know I really can't tolerate a lot of processed foods. So maybe I'll eat more wholefoods again for a while to see if it helps.

My skin has been so itchy it even wakes me up at night so I'm not getting much rest lately. I never had reactions like this before. :(

Thanks for your help Bartfull! :)

bartfull Rising Star

Here's the thing - even if you aren't getting any gluten, DH reacts to iodine. If those Frito's have iodized salt, that could be your answer. Have you been over to the DH section here? I think you should go look at some of the pictures folks have posted and compare your rash to those, then read as much info as you can. Ask lots of questions. Maybe it's NOT DH, but it can't hurt to educate yourself about it. And there are some WONDERFUL people here who can help you. :)

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Here's the thing - even if you aren't getting any gluten, DH reacts to iodine. If those Frito's have iodized salt, that could be your answer. Have you been over to the DH section here? I think you should go look at some of the pictures folks have posted and compare your rash to those, then read as much info as you can. Ask lots of questions. Maybe it's NOT DH, but it can't hurt to educate yourself about it. And there are some WONDERFUL people here who can help you. :)

Thanks Bartful! I didn't know that iodine can cause DH. I eat a lot of chips and nuts almost everyday. You might be on to something. I'll be checking it out.  :)

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
Finally-45 Contributor

Like Alex said-- go for histamine intolerance. It has a high likelihood of being unpredictable, weird, and easy to fool Drs.

Archived