#1 DChelleD

DChelleD

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

My bloodwork showed my total IgA at 67 range is 81-463

Allergist said my IgA was low but clinically insignificant. I did not get to talk to him directly and don't plan on any further visits with him.

I just want to know what constitutes an IgA "deficiency"? My number is low but does it have to be low to a certain point to be considered a deficiency rather than just low? Or, is anything below range considered a deficiency?

Will a gluten-free or gluten-light diet affect the total IgA bloodwork?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

There have been several postings about that here before, and even a low-normal total IgA can skew the IgA based celiac tests they said here.

I do not know about the last question.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

You have an IgA deficiency. You do not have a normal amount of IgA, and they (usually) base lab's normal ranges on what 95% of the population has, so you are in the minority. Below the range is usually considered deficient, although there are varying degrees of that.

Your diet will not affect your total serum IgA, but a gluten lite or gluten-free diet COULD POTENTIALLY affect any celiac tests that use IgA (like DGP IgA , tTG IgA, EMA IgA, AGA IgA). The longer you are gluten-free, the more likely it becomes that your diet will affect your celiac test results.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: