Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nightshades

7 posts in this topic

All summer long I have been eating and enjoying organic white potatoes. All summer long it has been unusually humid here. And all summer long my hands and back hurt like crazy when I get up in the morning.

I had been blaming it on the humidity, but a couple of days ago the pain and stiffness stayed with me all day instead of fading away as the day went on. And a couple of days ago I ran out of the potatoes. Yesterday I didn't hurt as badly as usual. Today the pain and stiffness were almost non-existant.

It's still just as humid, so I'm pretty sure it was the potatoes.

My question is, can those of you who get joint pain from nightshades eat a LITTLE bit on occasion? Are nightshades cumulative the way salicylates are? I ask because I bought three big bags of Kettle Brand chips the other day when they were on sale. Do you think a handful of chips will hurt me if I don't overdo it? And do you think I might be able to eat a small potato once or twice a week without harm?

It seems like I take a step forward and then take a step back. Potatoes used to make my psoriasis flare so I gave them up. After a few months I tried again and they didn't bother my psoriasis at all. I thought I had gotten them back for good, and now THIS! SO frustrating!

Ads by Google:

i am looking suspiciously at nightshades, too.  i have been o.d.'ing on tomatoes from the garden - one day i just happened to not eat any and i felt 'better' - wierdddd....  

yah - i'm still gonna eat the tomatoes till there ain't no more, so it's not *that* bad.  i'll do some experimenting after the garden dies lolz  ^_^

For me it seems like the nightshades get worse over time Bartfull.  I can have some once in a while though.  I used to react more strongly to them than I do now.  It seems my digestion is quite a bit better than it was a few years ago.  You'll need to experiment to see how your body reacts.  Probably best to stay away from them for a month or so and then test them a little at a time.  I don't eat regular potato chips anymore myself.  But I can eat corn so I get the Mission brand tortilla chips instead, or peanuts.  They are both crunchy, salty type snacks.  Food Should Taste Good makes some non-potato chips also and there are other veggie type chips and even pork rinds.  I tried some plaintain chips a couple times but they didn't work out real well for me.

As much as I hate to think it, I,  too am beginning to think I need to give up all night shades. (I can almost hear Shroomie chuckling at me

as she often said..are you sure you don't need to dump them all, IH?) I refused to believe it.

I have come so far with less pain from osteoarthritis, *( and of course, off gluten,)

but also going low histamine, no this, no that...blah blah blah...ack..

but I have been reluctant to give up peppers and potatoes  too (HUH? lose more foods besides eggs, soy,. chocolate, shellfish, etc etc...?... geesh and %$#@!

but I am going to do it. Tomorrow, out they all go.

Barty, I'll let you know if I notice a difference.  ;)

The only nightshade plant that i eat now is potatoes and that is a rarity in and of itself.

I used to love bell peppers and such, but after loosing the ability to handle mildly spicy food and tomatoes, i decided it wasn't worth it.

I've also recently lost onions too, so i can certainly understand the not wanting to give it up part.

I cut out potatoes for the last 6 months.  I confidently tried them a week, or so ago. All other foods which I have tried have now been okay.  Well, aches and swelling have been with me 8 days.  They are intense enough to make me think I can do without potatoes for a good long time.  I believe the most recent new supplement I got on may be made with potatoes.  If it is, that would explain why I am still aching 1 week later. 

I had been going with the tomatoes l time per week theory before cutting those out completely.  All I knew it caused was a tendency to use the restroom frequently.

D

For me joint pain from nightshades does seem to be cumulative, but I don't know if this is typical.  My diet is mostly paleo, but I am not really a fan of low carb, so I use white potatoes and some rice, and even orange juice to get enough carbs to feel good.  But a few weeks ago I was getting massive hip pains and I realized I'd been eating potatoes every morning for several days.  So, now I think I'll just eat occasional spaghetti sauce (tomatoes) and continue to eat potatoes when I travel, as a steak and plain baked potato seems to be the fail safe for the gluten intolerance.    

Yesterday I did have spaghetti sauce and was even waking in the night with joint pain...so it's a bummer.  I just don't know if I'm willing to entirely give up another food.