16 replies to this topic

#16 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Sorry you are still waiting.  From start to finish, our testing took almost 4 months.  Since Joe's #1 symptom was ATROCIOUS behavior, it was a very long 4 months.

I feel fortunate that he was diagnosed as a child.  He seems to have a much better attitude about food in general.  He would rather feel good than risk getting sick by trying a questionable (but delicious looking) treat.  Once I was stressing about food being served at a birthday party he was attending (I didn't want him to feel bad eating his "different" pizza) and he said, "mom, it's only food.  I'm not going to the party for the food."  Smart boy.  (I wish I had the same relationship with food.)

Always trust your instincts.  If you can, try to find a doctor that will look at all the (obvious) evidence.  You may find that down the road you need a doctor's note to ensure compliance at schools and camps.  Even if the note says "gluten intolerance" . . . that will be enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ArPlasma

ArPlasma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Cara! Yes, My main concern at this point is the enforcement of his diet at school and wish we can get an 'official' statement of gluten intolerance to make things easier at school and everywhere else.
I had to chuckle at your mention of m& ms preference vs. cupcake because I had this discussion today with DS. There was a party at school( again?!) and everyone else had a cupcake but him. He told me he did not mind at all, m& ms are his favorite. I guess he never liked cupcakes, always ate the frosting only saying cakes and cupcakes were not good for him, they made him feel funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: