18 replies to this topic

#16 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

So, KCG you are three months gluten-free now?  I say there is still time for improvement to show.  I used to get an inexplicable neuropathy in my legs and arms quite frequently.  It would keep me up at night and drive me nuts.  Did all kinds of testing over many years and then it was like, we don't know.  A while back I was thinking that I haven't experienced that in about six months now, and it had greatly decreased in frequency before that.  Of course it is anecdotal, but I am starting to think going gluten-free slowly fixed that- it may have been caused by my untreated Celiac disease.

So I wouldn't worry too greatly until maybe a year has passed.  Take vitamins and let yourself heal. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

I am. I *think* my co-ordination is slowly getting better and I don't know if it's my imagination but I think the tingling is already reducing. I will definitely be keeping up with the vitamins :)

I attended a handstands class as part of my aerial acrobatics last night - gave myself an extra pat on the back for managing the exercises! 

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#18 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Speaking of tingling, I've got it right now. Bad. My fingers are all tingly, and feel kind of stiff and sore when I bend them (there's definitely a pain at the base of my right thumb). I've got a tingly headache, face is tingly, arms are tingly. Feel like i'm "bobbing" around. I felt my ear drain a little bit. Also slightly nauseous (due to the unbalanced feeling)

I've been getting this a lot lately, to varying degrees, both at work and at home

Anyway, I haven't been eating anything unusual, so I highly doubt its a gluten/dairy/soy-ing. The only food-related thing I can think of is that a: could be having more salt that I should. Salt is one thing I know affected my "dizzy" symtoms, and why I cut back on it so much. I've been a bit lax about that lately, so that could be affecting things (does anyone know if salt levels can effect neuropathy?).

The only other thing is oats. I can tolerate them pretty well and eat them several times a week (certified gluten-free, of course). I made oatmeal cookies last week so have been eating lots of those, so it could be that I've hit my oat limit?

Or maybe it's this crazy winter weather? It's been so so cold and dry and is finally warming up a bit today. I think that's a long shot though.

In any case, I was going to start a new thread, but remembered this one is basically the same thing.
I'm going to start taking more B12 to see if that helps, and cut back on the salt intake again. I'm hoping to get to the bottom if it because not only is it annoying, but I recently started playing the cello, and I really can't practice when my fingers are all tingly and stiff.

Speaking of B12 (and other B vitamins), what's the recommended intake? I might get some iron as well (feeling like it might be a tad low. I've dealt with iron deficiency in the past, so I know what the borderline anemic symptoms feel like. taking supplements a few times a week might help). I probably won't be seeing my doctor for a few months, but will be sure to get a full panel done when I do.

Anyway, any ideas or advice is welcome.

Stay warm everyone!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#19 gwynanne4life

gwynanne4life

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I too have the tingling in lower legs.  It's so weird because it began after being diagnosed with Celiac Diseas. I am going to be more vigilant about taking a magnesium.  Does anyone recommend the best brand?

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time"   - Thomas Edison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: