This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Me, I Attended A Class Today That Said That Autism Has No Relation To gluten-free Eating, Hmm

3bears2

3bears2 Explorer

I attended a teacher training today and the trainer said that there is no research that supports autism and the gluten-free diet. So help me out. What do you think and know? Oh how I'd love to send her some information to debunk her teaching. I know of several kids that have benefited from eating gluten-free, my own. But I need information pertaining just to autism. If you have any websites for me to send to this presenter, I'd really appreciate it. She belongs to a CA autism organization and teaches this information all over the state so I'd really like to set her straight. Please help me do so. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
The link to that article seems to have messed up. The point was, there was a study that found no link. Maybe google " autism and celiac"

Open Original Shared Link

LauraTX Rising Star

Karen, If you can take out that link altogether, it took me to a malware site.  Don't want anyone downloading anything crazy.

3bears, No research has shown a link, but that doesn't mean a link is disproved or does not exist.  Celiac and Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance are both not heavily researched, the latter more so.  Many children with various conditions benefit from dietary changes but anecdotal evidence is not enough for science.  I, too, would suggest just doing a google search for articles but do pay attention to the date and if you are going to hand over the article to an expert print out the entire article for her.  I would avoid websites without clear sources because on the internet you get a lot of unsupported claims and downright pseudoscience going on, and that would hurt your case.

Now, although anecdotal evidence is not enough to establish a scientific link, that doesn't mean people who are desperate for some type of improvement should not try dietary changes.  It is not like giving them an experimental drug, it is just diet.  So if you feel like it may or does benefit your child, then go for it. 

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I agree with Laura, if it works for your child, go with it!

The following two links include prominent doctors, Dr. Green and Dr. Fasano, in the world of celiac research, and here's what I'm gathering from reading these abstracts...although autism and celiac disease do not seem to have a link, it does appear that in some with autism the body responds abnormally to the gluten protein.  "A subset of children with autism displays increased immune reactivity to gluten, the mechanism of which appears to be distinct from that in celiac disease."

kareng Grand Master

Karen, If you can take out that link altogether, it took me to a malware site.  Don't want anyone downloading anything crazy.

The link went to an article/thread on our site.  The link to the article seems to no longer be good.  This happens with "news articles" sometimes.  The articles aren't active forever.

Archived