This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Most Annoying Comments/questions

carriecraig

teebs in WV Apprentice

Icing from a can.......bowl.............mixer.................spatula.............you name it - I've done it! But, how many of you have ever eaten DRY cake or brownie mix??? (Before going gluten-free of course!) Honest to goodness.......I would get really bad cravings for it. Sick, I know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nantzie Collaborator
But, how many of you have ever eaten DRY cake or brownie mix??? (Before going gluten-free of course!) Honest to goodness.......I would get really bad cravings for it. Sick, I know.

Me.

Yea... I've got issues. :ph34r:

Nancy

jerseyangel Proficient

My absolutely favorite thing was brownie batter! I had to stop it though when I got scared of salmonella. Looking back, I should have been more scared of the flour! :D

jenvan Collaborator

I have to join in and say I too loved the graham crackers and icing. Hmmm...someone posted the graham cracker recipe. I should try it.

cgilsing Enthusiast

The most annoying comment that I have heard came from an aquaintance that had just found out I had Celiac disease. He said "Oh yeah, I've heard of that! I have a friend who's ex-girlfriend had that. It didn't work out with them though.....she was just a hypocondriac....she wouldn't eat ANYTHING!" :blink: My hubby and I sat there with our mouths hanging open! I tried to explain that she most likely was NOT a hypocondriac, but he wasn't interested in hearing it!

I just recently heard the one about "Oh there is no way I could EVER give up eating bread! I just wouldn't survive!" I always want to say "If you had terrible bouts of D and or C, were so bloated that people were asking when you were due, but you weren't pregnant, experienced your hair falling out, depression, and barely being able to drag yourself out of bed in the morning all for your beloved wheat.....you may not feel the same way about it!"

carriecraig Enthusiast
I just recently heard the one about "Oh there is no way I could EVER give up eating bread! I just wouldn't survive!"

I always say, if you had the reaction to it like I do, you would never, ever eat it again, no matter how much you think you can't live without it.

CeliaCruz Rookie
The most annoying comment that I have heard came from an aquaintance that had just found out I had Celiac disease. He said "Oh yeah, I've heard of that! I have a friend who's ex-girlfriend had that. It didn't work out with them though.....she was just a hypocondriac....she wouldn't eat ANYTHING!" My hubby and I sat there with our mouths hanging open! I tried to explain that she most likely was NOT a hypocondriac, but he wasn't interested in hearing it!

It's entirely possible that this person in question was actually a hypochondriac. Yes, Celiac is a real disease and unfortunately a lot of us are accused of "faking it" -- but there are people out there who don't have Celiac but convince themselves they have it. Hypochondria is a "real disease" as well and I'd imagine that Celiac would be a great disease to fake -- every meal is opportunity for drama and attention!

I only say this because the first time I had ever heard of Celiac Disease was because a college roommate of a really good friend of mine decided she had it one day. It turned out that this woman didn't really have Celiac at all. She had a really serious eating disorder and by claiming she couldn't eat gluten, she was able to derail all of her therapist's attempts to get her to eat normally. Plus, when people in her eating disorder support group would point out to her that she was losing weight, she'd claim that she was suffering from malabsorption brought on by the Celiac. Eventually she got so sick that she ended up in a rehab that introduced her to the twelve-steps of OA. It was then that she got better and finally admitted to us that the Celiac thing was a ruse. Ten years later, I realized I had it "for real." I called up my friend and was all, "hey remember that disease that crazy Kate was faking? I totally have it!" We had a good laugh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the validity of hypochondria as a real disease. It's just this particular situation really rang of lack of concern for someone who was truely sick! It really sounded like this guy had just become fed up with dealing with the dietary concerns of his girlfriend, so he dumped her and moved on. I have always said that I'm very lucky to have my husband! He is the only person who looks out for my diet as much as I do! I guess things like that just really make me glad for what I have!

CeliaCruz Rookie

Oh and I'm not saying that the boyfriend was right either. I'm just hearing about this third hand over the internet so what do I know?

It's just that when you said that the boyfriend said "she wouldn't eat ANYTHING", I flashed back to crazy Kate not eating anything...because she was claimed everything had gluten in it. To some guys, "not eating anything" simply means "the jerk wouldn't go with me to McDonalds!" But it's possible that this girl literally wasn't eating anything...even gluten-free foods. And that's when I started wondering if there wasn't another story. But you were there so you probably picked up on other nuances to the story that I didn't.

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
My MIL used to go home from school (before she quit at age 15--different times Jackie and celiac3270! NO dropping out allowed these days) and make up a batch of icing and dip gumdrops in it for a snack :blink: .

I have an 88 average, I wouldn't worry about that lol.

-Jackie

ehrin Explorer

I'm kind of late joining in this topic -

but so far my most irritating experience has to be this:

My Boss: "Ehrin, would you like anything from so and so for lunch?"

Me: "No Thanks"

My Boss: "Ooohhh you can't eat anything from here can you" (while waving the menu in my face)

no, I most likely can't eat anything, but thank you, for asking me DAILY, if I want to eat pizza or a salzone

it nearly drives me crazy...

carriecraig Enthusiast

Hi Ehrin, and welcome. My dh does that to me too, but he's just giving me a hard time.

carriecraig Enthusiast

I got two more comments this week:

Oh, in a couple of years when you are all healed up, you can cheat and have things with gluten in them. My friend's mom who has Celiac does it every once in a while, and she's fine.

I was telling the same co-worker that I couldn't use Aveda hair products because they contain wheat and oats, and she said, "Are you kidding me, your not going to drink the shampoo, so I don't see what the problem is."

This coming from someone who just spent 3 months out of work b/c she had an operation for ulcerative colitis...

watkinson Apprentice

My daughter who is also a celiac went down to New Orleans a couple weeks ago with a group from out church to help with some rebuiding. One night the group of them went to a restaurant for dinner. Pretty much everything on the menu was fried. <_< My daughter tried to explain to the waitress what the problem was and could she get anything fresh not fried. The waitress with a very sincere face said to her "Oh don't worry, when you put the food in the frier, I think the hot oil will kill the gluten!" :blink: Can you believe that :blink: "kill the gluten" Oh well...she ended up getting a junky salad with head lettuce and 1 cucumber slice, no dressing. YUMMMM!! <_<:D

Wendy

watkinson Apprentice

Here's another one I just remembered. Someone on this thread made the comment that people just don't listen. How about this one. My best friend, the woman that saw me the sickest, the one that I expained until my head popped off what was going on with me....what being a celiac means....what I can and cannot eat and why...the one I went to lunch with...the one I would share candy bars and ice cream with.

Here's what she said to me one day...

"I'm going to stop eating carbs so I can be skinny and be a size 4 like you!" I said "what? I eat carbs all the time." "That's mostly what I eat." She said "no, you don't eat any bread" AHHHHHHHH!!!!! :blink:

Once again, I had to expain that everything except protien (meat) has carbs. All fruits and vegetables, yogurt, ice cream, candy, anything with sugar is a carb. And besides I eat bread, cookies, cakes ect. they just DON'T HAVE WHEAT IN THEM!!!!!! Gosh!! don't you just want to scream!!! :o<_< oh well :( on it goes! :D

Wendy

AnneJ Newbie
Yea, I've gotten the "Can't you just eat a LITTLE??" Yea, I answered... if I want MOLTEN ACID shooting out my butt.

When I explained to some nice older ladies at the bake sale table that I couldn't eat any of their wares... and told them why, they gasped and said, "Oh my... WHAT do you eat??" I looked down at myself (I didn't GET the unexplained weight loss symptom...) and said, "Um... do I look like I'm starving??"

I would love the name of the book! It doesn't surprise me that the murderer is the Celiac! Someday I think I am going to snap myself!!

AnneJ

AnneJ Newbie

As I am sitting here with my dinner, chicken broth and gluten-free crackers because I feel like crap. At least I have had a great laugh reading everyone's comments. I haven't had a laugh like this for the whole year since being diagnosed. Misery not only loves company, we NEED company!! Thanks for the laughs!

AnneJ.

Archived