This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easy To Eat Healthy In Costa Rica

sick&tired

sick&tired Newbie

I just returned from a 12 day trip to Costa Rica. It was a fabulous trip and best of all, I never had an issue with food. First of all, the typical Costa Ricans don't eat a lot of food with wheat and they do eat a lot of fresh foods. A typical meal would be a meat, rice, beans, fried plantains (bananas), or yucca, and a cabbage salad with a couple of fresh corn tortillas. Lots of fruit is served at breakfast and breakfast is usually included with hotel stays. I did have a card I made up myself stating I had Celiac and what I could and couldn't eat. I laminated about 5 of them but only pulled them out a couple of times.

I knew where we would be staying during our travels and emailed all the hotels ahead of time. I can't say enough good things about one of the places we stayed, Bosque del Cabo. It is at the tip of the Osa Peninsula, a gorgeous setting 500 feet above the Pacific and Golfo Dulce. Every evening was a gourmet buffet and the cook made sure everything on that bufffet was GLUTEN FREE!!!. I have never been treated so nice anywhere before. Turns out the owner's best friend is a Celiac so she knows all about it. I was so tickled to eat all the same food as everyone else. She would make me my own special fruit deserts.

I encourage anyone with Celiac Disease to travel throughout Costa Rica with not many worries. I didn't see any breaded fried food but that doesn't mean it's not there. Also, all the tortillas I came across were corn. Didn't see any wheat tortillas.

-Bobbi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing. So Bosque del Cabo caters to people with celiac disease?

Rusla Enthusiast

This sounds like a place to add to my Caribbean vacation list.

sick&tired Newbie

That sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing. So Bosque del Cabo caters to people with celiac disease?

[/quote

No, it's more like they will do what ever they can to make anyone happy. You would have to let them know you were a celiac and then they would take the proper measures.

• 2 weeks later...
em2005 Rookie

Ha! We were in Costa Rica at the same time! I just returned home from Costa Rica about a week earlier than you did. I travelled around there for 2 weeks, and I agree...not having to deal with a lot of food issues was GREAT!! I loved eating rice & beans everyday..and those frescos (tropical fruit blended with water or milk) were divine...and so inexpensive, too! Also, we travelled all around the country and weren't staying at a resort, and I still didn't have much trouble eating anything on the menu at restaurants. However, we did eat out at a mexican restaurant by the Arenal volcano, and I am pretty sure my fahitas had wheat wraps and not corn, so i just didn't eat the tortillas.

Other than that, no problems!

em

• 4 years later...
jessicaljensen Newbie

Is there any way you could post the information you had on your card? I'm new to all of this and especially to traveling over seas with it.

psawyer Proficient

Is there any way you could post the information you had on your card? I'm new to all of this and especially to traveling over seas with it.

This is a very old topic, and the original poster has not been online here in almost five years. Maybe someone else will have some info for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

One way I did it... don't know how accurate it is.. was to type it onto google and then ask for a translation in the language of choice. Perhaps it isn't the best but it went with my friend to Mexico. They had a wonderful gluten free time.

Archived