This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heart Arrythmias?

colorado kathy

colorado kathy Newbie

I've been reading where a number of people have had heart arrythmias w/celiac. Would anyone be willing to share what kinds of problems they've had and what the treatment was? Thanks - Kathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitball Explorer
I've been reading where a number of people have had heart arrythmias w/celiac. Would anyone be willing to share what kinds of problems they've had and what the treatment was? Thanks - Kathy

I have had heart issues for awhile, but usually with stress. After I went gluten-free, I had an episode where I had "heart skips" every 2-3 minutes. I had it checked, but turned out to be an extra heart beat, but also could be from aspartame from drinking diet pepsi. So, I have stopped almost all aspartame and have had few issues since.

jaten Enthusiast

Yes, I was diagnosed with PVC's (common and often benign) and PAC's (the real trouble) many years ago. I was diagnosed with this long before I was diagnosed with Celiac, but probably not before I was Celiac. Many tests were run, and I have no damage, etc., but the PVC's and PAC's are always evident and frequent. Doc could find no reason for them, but is alarmed at their severity. I have been on med to control them (and it does fairly well), but have to have med changed about once every couple of years because one will stop working after awhile.

Since Celiac diagnosis in Dec., I have read that arrhythmia can be a symptom of Celiac.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Before going gluten-free, I would get them terrible! They terrified me! It felt like my heart was skipping a beat and then pounding through my chest on the next beat. Sometimes, it would last up to 1 hour. I had the test where I wore the monitor for 24 hours, but it didn't show anything.

After going gluten-free, they went away - totally. I NEVER get them anymore......

Karen

i canary Rookie

I have very short episodes where my heart skips. Scary when it happens. As far as I know I'm not taking anything for it. I'm taking 40 pills a day - so I might be confused as to what is for what. Next time I'm talking to my doctor - I'll ask her.

Canary

Carriefaith Enthusiast

When I eat gluten by accident, I can get very bad heart palpitations, heart racing, and heart pain. The episodes can be quite scary. During my last severe episode, my heart was skipping beats, racing really fast and then I would get very sweaty, clammy, dizzy, nauseated, and then I'd feel like I would pass out. I think I even blacked out a few times. This all happened within 24 hours of eating at a restaurant. My doctor thinks that the heart problems are a wheat allergy reaction, since I am also allergic to wheat. He told me that I should not be eating food that I haven't seen being prepared, like at restaurants. I only eat food that I, or someone I trust, has prepared.

megsylvan2 Apprentice

Yes, I had them too. Some kind of sub atrial/ventricular complexes (don't remember the exact name). It was like Karen described - skipping a beat and then pounding and racing. It was a wild heart arrythmia. It made me cough and was very uncomfortable. I couldn't live with it. Had all the cardio testing done, and it was nothing significant. Was put on Atenolol, and that controlled it very well. Then thought I was getting some adverse side effects from the Atenolol. Happened to mention it to one doctor who told me that more likely the cause of the heart arrythmia was too high a dosage of synthroid - my thyroid medication. Endocrinologist tested that and found it was a little high. Reduced my dose, and I was able to go off they Atenolol without any return of heart symptoms.

All of this was pre-GI problems and pre-gluten free. After gluten free, I even had to give up they synthroid, and when I started taking that again, the heart problems came back. I have read here that gluten-free may help resolve thyroid issues, so now I'll need to work on that. But, long story short, you might want to get your thryoid hormones checked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

I also get PVCs, my dad and I both do. I typically get them when I'm run down or on occasional after stopping suddenly during a work out. They are usually benign and most folks don't need meds. But if it is happening frequently or during activity, I would mention it to the doc. As long as I take care of myself I don't usually have any problems. When I do get them, it feels like the heart is stopping for a moment and I lose my breath. PS--There is some relationship to the Vagus nerve/Digestive system and PVCs also. Many years ago my dad had what we now call the "fake heart attack" with chest pain and arrythmias/palpitations. Docs did all the scans/tests and he was fine. Attributed the symptoms to a heavy meal he had eaten that night and the Vagus nerve :)

Archived