3 replies to this topic

#1 skipper30

skipper30

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

Are there any of you who's children have transient tics (like Tourette's) that are made worse by gluten??

Our oldest son is showing some transient tics and I am starting to wonder if HE has celiac...hmmmm?? He also has lots of anxiety.

What about stuttering/language delays??(this IS the celiac child)

Thanks in advance.....
Mom to:
Riley 8 -Tourettes, OCD, ADHD
Cooper 6 -Celiac dx'ed Dec. 2005
Jake 4- Resolved Verbal Apraxia, Coordination disorder and Sensory Integration Disorder
Sutton 3- Speech issues and sensory integration disorder

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

Well, I don't have a child with this problem, but I am the one with Tourettes here. And yes, my tics are a ton worse with gluten, and so is my anxiety. And stuttering is considered a tic by many people. I usually never stutter, but will occasionally, especially when glutened.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 jaybirdsmom

jaybirdsmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

My son has a speech delay!! And I know it was caused by gluten because he's 17 mo and he's at 10 months in speech which he started getting sick at 11 months. Also he has these tremors when he is glutened that are scary!! So you might want to try him on the gluten-free diet and see if he does better! :)

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:42 AM

Gluten can cause seizure like activity in the brain. I had problems with gluten induced tics and my DD did also.

Jaybirdsmom, Interestingly my DD also lost her speech at a little over a year. All she could do was scream and bite. It turned out she had excessive fluid build up in her ears without any signs of infection. She had many sets of tubes and she went through years of speech therapy but by middle school only had a slight lisp. Make sure if you haven't already that you have him checked by an audiologist. She also had tremors and absence seizures. Now gone.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: