4 replies to this topic

#1 natro2

natro2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

It seems as if no celiacs have problems with cheese, but that seems hard to believe, I and other celiacs that I know of, get a reaction from eating plain (European) cheese, with no additional ingredients. I have no other allergies than gluten, so Im wondering if it has to do with the enzymes used today in modern cheese production(?) I do admit, that only super-sensitive celiac appear to get a reaction from eathing plain cheese, has anyone got the same problem, and has anyone got an explanation, and does anyone know of any 110% gluten-free cheese?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

Are you sure you're not casein sensitive as well as gluten sensitive? That's not exactly a milk allergy, but an intolerance, like lactose intolerance. Can you digest other dairy products (than cheese) okay? I know plenty of celiacs (esp. newly diagnosed ones) who can't digest dairy products. Some are lactose intolerant, some also have casein antibodies. So they must avoid ALL dairy. Does anyone know of a dairy free, gluten free cheese??? ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

You mentioned being lactose intolerant. Before I was diagnosed and for the previous seven years I was lactose intolerant. I had always eaten yogurt for breakfast and been a big cheese fan but as my disease progressed I had to give them up. Since being diagnosed three years ago, I now eat both with no trouble. It did take a while before I could tolerate either and I was reluctant to try them at first but I really missed the yogurt. It's now a regular part of my breakfast again. :) But I've not heard of a cheese that's both dairy and gluten free.

#4 natro2

natro2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:57 AM

Well Im definately not lactose intolerant, as I drink loads of milk and cream without any problems at all,
so I still stick to the suspision that rennet or some enzyme may be the culprit...,
(gluten or something the like)
I mean, you can find gluten intolerance on so many levels, and many celiacs eat
low protein bread without any problems, on the other hand, a few of us are supersensitive, and in order to find some cheese I can eat, and in order not to be labelled hysteric I need to know the exact reason as to what is wrong with the cheese I eat, since I have no problems with other dairy products.

#5 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

HI there,
I had to give up all dairy for many months after starting the gluten-free diet. I would get the worst stomach pains, etc after ingesting any dairy product (even butter!). However, in the past week, I have reintroduced dairy 3 times without any problem. (I have been totally gluten-free since august 2003 and totally dairy-free since Jan. 2004.) I even ate ice cream this week without a problem!

Hard cheeses are the safest bet for celiacs if you have no other intolerances or allergies. Don't buy low-fat (since wheat could be in there) or flavored cheese. Eat the real thing.

At the natural foods markets around here, I have seen gluten-free, dairy-free cheese. It is made from soy. You might check for that if you have no other options. In fact, I buy frozen pizzas that have gluten-free rice crusts and soy cheese. They are completely gluten-free, casein-free and dairy-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: