This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Have Dry, Painful, Cracked Heels?

azmom3

rogue Rookie

from what i understand, vitamin A definciency can cause/contribute to dry & cracked callouses on heels. along with your celiac panel, try getting a fat-soluable vitamin panel. that will help you determine whether or not it is caused by a vitamin deficiency.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azmom3 Contributor
from what i understand, vitamin A definciency can cause/contribute to dry & cracked callouses on heels. along with your celiac panel, try getting a fat-soluable vitamin panel. that will help you determine whether or not it is caused by a vitamin deficiency.

interesting! I never knew there was such a thing as a fat-soluable vitamin panel. Do you know how much information you find out from that? Does it tell you every vitamin defficiency you may have? Thanks so much for your input!

Lymetoo Contributor
I have really dry skin everywhere. My heels crack too and my boss has this problem also. Her thyroid dr. told her it was because of her thyroid being out of wack. This sounds strange to me.

I think it can have something to do with the hormones. After I started taking several different biologically identical hormones, my heels and fingers got better.

My fingers used to get extremely dry and painful if I washed my hands very much.

Terese.....What's up with the high MCV and MCH??? I have that too.

azmom3 Contributor
I think it can have something to do with the hormones. After I started taking several different biologically identical hormones, my heels and fingers got better.

My fingers used to get extremely dry and painful if I washed my hands very much.

what's MCV and MCH?

Guest BERNESES

I had it very badly before going gluten-free. They used to bleed (mostly in summer- sandals). bag balm and socks to bed. Now that I'm gluten-free, it's much better. Hmmm... totally forgot about that!

TERESE Rookie

[quote name='Lymetoo' date='Aug 4 2006, 04:32 PM' post='179869'

Lymetoo Contributor

"I have extreme fatigue. Had my blood tested again 3 weeks ago and even being on B-12 it's still high. Thinking about posting this on a new tread as I have been feeling very ill again. What have you been told it is?"

Well, mine may be due to babesia, which I got from a tick bite many years ago. It causes extreme fatigue.

I do feel that I've been successfully treated for it. [i think!!]

It's strange, but 6 yrs ago I had my dr test me for B-12 deficiency and it came back HIGH! Very weird, when I felt like CR**!!

Anyway, last yr I had a severe infection following gallbladder surgery and began taking B-12 shots daily. I still take them every other day now. It was the only way I could drag my butt out of bed!!

Anyway, I THOUGHT the MCV or MCH could also be due to lung problems, but I'm not sure. [i do have asthma]

Here are some links you can review concerning tests:

Good site for understanding blood tests

Open Original Shared Link

another site for tests:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TERESE Rookie

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I had my B-12 tested 5 months ago, and it was only boarderline low. I maybe am just having trouble with other foods now or something because I have again been feeling SO TIERD.

Guest BERNESES
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I had my B-12 tested 5 months ago, and it was only boarderline low. I maybe am just having trouble with other foods now or something because I have again been feeling SO TIERD.

I'm glad that you mentioned this because something similar has happened to me. I am having trouble with all foods even my safe foods and all sorts of bizarre symptoms. I'm wondering if it's my thyroid. I actually was also told in the ER (I went because I have been feeling so sick and I developed a severe headache and panicked) that I should also be checked for Lyme disease.

Lymetoo- I was going to PM you and ask you what your symptoms were. The PA in the ER said they call it "the great imitator" because it mimics all sorts of other disorders. You can email, PM me or post them here. Terese- let me know what you find out too.

TERESE Rookie

I was checked for Lyme's last year so at least I know it's not that. I guess I need to keep a food journel and go from there. Thanks

Lymetoo Contributor

Lyme testing is REALLY unreliable. The only lab I would trust is Igenex Labs in CA. www.igenex.com

It's just like testing for celiac. Not all labs are created equal!!

Here is the symptoms list for Lyme:

Lyme Disease Symptoms List

1. Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing

2. Unexplained weight change--loss or gain

3. Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina

4. Unexplained hair loss

5. Swollen glands: list areas____

6. Sore throat

7. Testicular pain/pelvic pain

8. Unexplained menstrual irregularity

9. Unexplained milk production: breast pain

10.Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction

11.Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido

12.Upset stomach

13.Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea

14.Chest pain or rib soreness

15.Shortness of breath, cough

16.Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block

17.Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?

18.Joint pain or swelling: list joints_____________

19.Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back

20.Muscle pain or cramps

21.Twitching of the face or other muscles

22.Headache

23.Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain

24.Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains

25.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)

26.Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity

27.Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity

28.lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance

29.Lightheadedness, wooziness

30.Tremor

31.Confusion, difficulty in thinking

32.Diffculty with concentration, reading

33.Forgetfuiness, poor short term memory

34.Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places

35.Difficulty with speech or writing

36.Mood swings, irritability, depression

37.Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening

38.Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Now, you don't have to have ALL of those to have Lyme...you might only have 10 or so and still have it. When I first was dxd [i'd actually had Lyme for 42 yrs by then.] I had 35 of the 38 symptoms! I was a mess!!

Now, I'm much better and some of the symptoms are completely gone, some not very bothersome, and some still there.

TERESE Rookie
Lyme testing is REALLY unreliable. The only lab I would trust is Igenex Labs in CA. www.igenex.com

It's just like testing for celiac. Not all labs are created equal!!

That's who my Dr. used. Thankfully I have a GREAT Dr. whos like a bloodhound. Started seeing her last year and Lyme was one of the first test she ran. I have or had alot of the symptoms on that list. She sees alot of people with Lyme as it's one of her specialties. Thanks!

Lymetoo Contributor
That's who my Dr. used. Thankfully I have a GREAT Dr. whos like a bloodhound. Started seeing her last year and Lyme was one of the first test she ran. I have or had alot of the symptoms on that list. She sees alot of people with Lyme as it's one of her specialties. Thanks!

That's wonderful. You are very lucky!

Guest BERNESES

wow- thanks for that list- right now I've got QUITE a few of those symptoms and I'm wondering. I line in an area where Lyme is VERY prevalent. I'm going to ask to be tested. I'll check out the Igenex link too. Thank you mucho!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
heathen Apprentice
Anybody else out there have this problem? My heels get calloused really quickly and really bad. I have other callouses on my feet, too, but the whole edge of my heel on both feet are really thick within 2-3 days of having them pumiced off. If I'm not diligent (twice per day) about pumicing and lotion, they crack and get very painful. I have tried numerous OTC and prescription medications with very little help. I also have extremely dry skin on my hands that cracks and bleeds when exposed to water for too long or chemicals when cleaning. I had extremely bad exzema as a child on the backs of my knees and inside of my elbows that was almost always itching, red, tender, etc. This went away, but as an adult I developed allergies and asthma. I know all this stuff is in the same family. Could my hands and feet be a form of exzema or can anyone shed some light on this? I have not been diagnosed celiac...just found out my son has it, so I will be getting tested soon.

i've had eczema and dry, cracked, bleeding, embarrassing feet my entire life until i started using gold bond ultimate healing lotion. it's a thick cream and a little pricey, but you can find it at walmart (or whatever discount store you have). since i have used it, i didn't have a chapped forehead last winter, and i've been able to wear flip-flops without excruciating cracking and bleeding. i'm not ashamed to let people see my feet either. don't know if it will work as well for you, but i've tried the vaseline and cellophane and anti-fungals and medicated lotions, and the gold bond is the only lotion to work.

azmom3 Contributor
i've had eczema and dry, cracked, bleeding, embarrassing feet my entire life until i started using gold bond ultimate healing lotion. it's a thick cream and a little pricey, but you can find it at walmart (or whatever discount store you have). since i have used it, i didn't have a chapped forehead last winter, and i've been able to wear flip-flops without excruciating cracking and bleeding. i'm not ashamed to let people see my feet either. don't know if it will work as well for you, but i've tried the vaseline and cellophane and anti-fungals and medicated lotions, and the gold bond is the only lotion to work.

Thank you...I thought I had tried everything, but have gotten so many responses with new things that I haven't tried before. I'm not as concerned with price if it works and I'm willing to try this one as I haven't used it before. My podiatrist prescribed some stuff that came in a tiny, little tube, the size of my little finger and it cost $90! I asked for samples first so I didn't waste the money. It didn't work any better than anything else I tried. I'm glad this is working for you. People don't understand how painful it can be when the cracks are so deep and start bleeding. :o Anyways, thanks for the tip!

inquirer Newbie

I used to have problems with cracking heels. I added flax seed oil to my diet and it helped immensely. Sometimes you have to treat the problem from the inside out.

azmom3 Contributor
I used to have problems with cracking heels. I added flax seed oil to my diet and it helped immensely. Sometimes you have to treat the problem from the inside out.

I was taking flax seed oil for a while several years ago and I can't remember if it made a difference or not. I'll have to try that one again. Thanks!

GFAngel Newbie

I've had cracked heels for too many years. Sometimes they'll bleed in the cracks if I don't scrape/grate them at least once a week. More is better and makes it easier the next "grating". It's a bother to notice every step you take when you have cracked heels! We have gluten free food to prepare and important celiac-related info to read on the computer ... :lol:

I found a great scraper/"grater" at the beauty supply store and it came with two grate sizes: one to get the really hard stuff off, and another, finer one to help smooth. I've also found scrapers at the Dollar Store, which I used while on vacation in Vegas - sandals are a must in the summer! I just make sure to lotion really well after showering while my feet are damp, during the summer. In the winter I use the vaseline and socks routine occasionally since I pretty much wear socks and tennies.

I was dx hypothyroid 1996. Dx celiac disease Feb 06. I always thought it was because I needed to lose weight - not enough circulation? My mom is pre-diabetic (I'm not) and hers are not as bad as mine. She needs to lose maybe 50 lbs, I need to lose over 100.

I have a tendency toward having exzema flairs- more on my hands and arms when really bad (stress during college and after pregnancy). That was 18 years ago. Currently, I only experience winter exzema on my hands occasionally because of dry heat and not investing in a humidifier ... I keep meaning to try that. It's supposed to be good for your lungs as well. Anyway, I'm gluten free only 7 months - my heels are the same. My heels didn't change when my thyroid was out of or in range. I will look into athlete's foot.

Since going gluten free I've added MORE ground flax seed to my diet (and I make my Good Season's Italian dressing with flax oil and have salad daily with it). I haven't noticed a difference in my heels.

BTW, my MCV and MCH have always been within range. However, my RDW has been over range for many of the 10 or so years I have records. I just asked my dr about the consistency of the RDWs for me, and he says many of these tests depend on other parts of blood test results, so you often don't need to worry about it. I was driving myself crazy self-dxing while reading those websites (labsonline). Many celiacs, incl myself, don't trust drs because our symptoms were ignored, so I can't help but want to be informed. Just talk to the doc next visit. I compile lists!

My docs only clue that I might have had celiac disease were "low, but within range" hemoglobin for years. I was soo tired. Weight related? I worked through that with a personal trainer and lost 40 lbs., but also started losing hair and my exzema flaired (we were moving, it was winter, so I thought it was stress). Well, my body WAS stressed! I had undx celiac disease! Doc said hair loss could be thyroid related, but it was within range. He was right, but .... Different rant. Sorry :P

Has anyone had an ESR (Westergren) for inflammation? I had that test one month after celiac disease dx (37, and over 20 is flagged). Dr said probably because of inflammation in my intestine? I also have a hip problem for 13 years: think it could also maybe inflammed sciatic/muscle in my hip? I digress. (This same time my MCH was below range/low).

Here's a wonder: my B12 was tested for the first time after dx in Feb. First test was 326 and second test after going gluten-free was 382 (July). That's great, but here's what the lab report noted after the result:

"Although the reference range for vitamin B12 is 200-1100 pg/ml. It has been reported that between 5 and 10% of patients with values between 200 and 400 pg/ml may experience neuropsychiatric and hematologic abnormalities due to occult B12 deficiency; less than 1% of patients with values above 400 pg/ml will have symptoms."

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?! I think it WOULD be a good idea to start a new thread with questions regarding interpretation of blood labs!

Okay, I'm done. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...
Guest Waldenflo

I've had the same problems...exzema as a child and extremely dry skin as an adult, with painful cracks on heels and on finger tips. A friend recommended adding Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)to my diet, I did and had great results. I take Primrose Oil, Flaxseed Oil and Fish Oil, but you can obtain a multi-EFA product with Omega 3s, 6s and 9s. Look into it, and I hope it helps. I also found a product, Glytone, online...a bit expensive at $40 /about a 4 oz jar, for heel cracks....but this stuff works!! I troo encourage testing for Celiac...as it's all about the nutrients your body needs and may be lacking. Best of luck.

Waldenflo

quote name='azmom3' date='Jul 29 2006, 02:53 PM' post='176365']

Anybody else out there have this problem? My heels get calloused really quickly and really bad. I have other callouses on my feet, too, but the whole edge of my heel on both feet are really thick within 2-3 days of having them pumiced off. If I'm not diligent (twice per day) about pumicing and lotion, they crack and get very painful. I have tried numerous OTC and prescription medications with very little help. I also have extremely dry skin on my hands that cracks and bleeds when exposed to water for too long or chemicals when cleaning. I had extremely bad exzema as a child on the backs of my knees and inside of my elbows that was almost always itching, red, tender, etc. This went away, but as an adult I developed allergies and asthma. I know all this stuff is in the same family. Could my hands and feet be a form of exzema or can anyone shed some light on this? I have not been diagnosed celiac...just found out my son has it, so I will be getting tested soon.

sparkles Contributor

3M has a great product for heels and feet. I also use it on my elbows, hands, and knees because of extremely dry skin. It did work wonders for me on my cracked heels... and everywhere else I tried it. It isn't greasy like Eucerine.

Archived