3 replies to this topic

#1 j9n

j9n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:10 AM

I am curious how many people with celiac disease have damage in other parts of their digestive track. When I had my endoscopy I was told I have a hiatal hernia, severe reflux and gastritis. I wonder if this is all related. I don't get heartburn but I do notice a correlation with reflux and lower gi upset (to say it nicely). It really feels like I am poisoned, which I guess I am.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AmyandSabastian

AmyandSabastian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:38 AM

My son and my husband have severe reflux and have been on Prevacid since the day it has come out. They were on Zantac first with no help. We also have bottles of Roliads around the house at every turn.
Amy (25) and Bryan (26)....Gluten Free Aug 1 2004
Sabastian (8 months).... Gluten free May 17 2004

Lafayette, La (The Cajun HeartLand)

It's Just Food!

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:10 AM

When I had my endoscopy I was told I had slight hiatal hernia. Apparently this is not at all unsual, even for people without celiac disease.

Until a few months agao I was having severe GERD problems and was taking Prevacid. Because of other health problems, I decided it was time to start exercising and lose weight. Once I reduced the amounts I was eating and lost 10 pounds (I've lost a total of 33) my GERD suddenly disappeared. I didn't know this would be a possible result of dieting, but I haven't even touched a Rolaids in months now. I know this wouldn't work for everybody and I certainly don't know if the people on this thread are overweight or eat too much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

richard

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:05 AM

My GERD/reflux experience was similar to Richard's with a few exceptions. I was diagnosed with 'gastrititis' with acid reflux (before they started calling it GERD) almost 20 years ago. I went through many prescriptions for Zantac (wouldn't take Tagamet because of known side effects) and LIVED on Mylanta or Maalox tablets. Then I found a nondiet approach to weight loss/maintenance which taught me to ONLY eat when truly hungry (not for emotional reasons or social conformity) and stop eating when I was satisfied (NOT stuffed). That method reduced my reflux significantly, :) even while eating foods supposed to cause reflux and drinking peppermint tea which was supposed to relax the esophagus. (I drank peppermint tea to cope with abdominal pains which I didn't realize until recently were celiac symptoms.) HOWEVER, since I receive my Enterolab diagnosis (gluten AS WELL AS casein antibodies), I've abstained from all dairy as well as gluten sources. :o Soon thereafter my lifelong 'instant reflux' disappeared. :D Since early childhood I had to avoid bending over after eating or going to bed before 3-4 hours after a meal, because food/liquids just came up when I wasn't perfectly vertical for several hours after eating. (Also bouts with nausea/stomach flu often turned into dry heaves where nothing would stay down.) So my lifelong reflux problems seemed to be caused by dairy products. :blink: Ironically doctors used to recommend milk to people with gastritis/reflux symptoms. <_< No wonder they call it 'medical practice' ... they sure PRACTICED on me a lot!! :lol:

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: