This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions About Inhaling Wheat Flour And The Soy Family

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Last night I noticed that I had a slightly sore throat. Today I feel like my lungs ache a little and I had drainage in back of throat when I woke up. I would normally chalk this up to a cold, however I have noticed the sore throat and drainage in the morning at other times within the last few months. I thought back to yesterday and remembered that I made whole wheat pancakes for the kids (they aren't gluten-free as of yet) and that a puff of flour blew up in the air while pouring it in the bowl. It was enough to make me turn my head to avoid it. Then I realized that I only make pancakes on the weekends, and these are the times I have noticed the sore throat. Does it sound like they are related?

Also, I had a lot of soy in different products yesterday. So I'm considering experimenting with removing soy, but need to know if it is every form of soy(beans, oil, protein,lecithin ETC. ) :unsure: Are all types of soy equally offensive?

Thank you all for your help. I wouldn't even know to ask these questions if it wasn't for all of you.

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CDFAMILY Rookie

I think one of the first things I was told by many people was to get all the flour and wheat out of the house. Mainly because of what you just said...that flour poofs and gets into your nasal passage which empties into your stomach.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Valentine's Day I baked my husband a heart-shaped cake with wheat flour, and was sick with the usual gluten symptoms for a week! NOBODY is now allowed to bake with regular flour in this house. Either they have to go somewhere else to bake, or buy the cake. It sucks, but is necessary.

You may want to just make your kids gluten-free pancakes, they may not even notice the difference. If they complain, just tell them that making their usual pancakes makes you feel bad, and that they could either choose to eat something else for breakfast, or get used to the gluten-free pancakes. That's it, your health comes first.

As with soy: If you're intolerant to soy, everything made with it would be a definite problem. To know for sure, eliminate soy for a couple of weeks, and then have something obvious (like drinking a whole glass of soy milk, several times that day). Watch for delayed reactions, you could react the next day or even the day after that.

queenofhearts Explorer

This sounds to me like you might have an oral allergy to wheat. Look up oral allergies online & you might see similar symptoms... my son has a mild oral allergy to apples & carrots. It's akin to hay fever, not as dangerous as Celiac or anaphylactic-type allergies, but still annoying.

Leah

If you still really want to make gluten-flour foods, you could try wearing a dust mask. My husband has asthma & wears one to do dusty work, & it really helps. Hardware stores carry them.

Ursa Major Collaborator
This sounds to me like you might have an oral allergy to wheat. Look up oral allergies online & you might see similar symptoms... my son has a mild oral allergy to apples & carrots. It's akin to hay fever, not as dangerous as Celiac or anaphylactic-type allergies, but still annoying.

Leah

With oral allergy syndrome you definitely DON'T get aching lungs and postnasal drip. What you may get is just a sore throat, fuzzy/yucky feeling in your mouth and on your tongue, or stinging, even, possibly swollen lips (I get all those with various foods).

Be careful with oral allergy syndrome. If you still eat those foods, you may end up with a serious allergy in the long run. I hope you don't give your son apples and carrots. Mind you, he could just be allergic to RAW apples and carrots, cooked might be just fine.

Also, even if Sarah has an oral allergy to wheat, whatever gets into her mouth and nose will eventually end up in her stomach and cause celiac disease symptoms as well.

queenofhearts Explorer
With oral allergy syndrome you definitely DON'T get aching lungs and postnasal drip. What you may get is just a sore throat, fuzzy/yucky feeling in your mouth and on your tongue, or stinging, even, possibly swollen lips (I get all those with various foods).

Be careful with oral allergy syndrome. If you still eat those foods, you may end up with a serious allergy in the long run. I hope you don't give your son apples and carrots. Mind you, he could just be allergic to RAW apples and carrots, cooked might be just fine.

Also, even if Sarah has an oral allergy to wheat, whatever gets into her mouth and nose will eventually end up in her stomach and cause celiac disease symptoms as well.

That's a good point, my son's symptoms are all in his mouth & throat, not lungs at all. I wasn't paying close enough attention on that one! Yes, he's perfectly fine with cooked apples & carrots, & yes, sigh, he still eats them raw sometimes, though I've warned him it might escalate. He is 19 & no longer dependent on my food decisions... I actually think he has some possible Celiac symptoms but he refuses to be tested. Very frustrating.

What do you think of the dust mask concept?

Leah

Ursa Major Collaborator

Leah, I sort of think that it may be okay to bake with a dusk mask. Mind you, I have no idea how small the particles will be that are in the air, and if a dusk mask would keep them out. What has me concerned is, that fine particles will stay in the air for up to 24 hours. I wouldn't want to wear a dusk mask for that long, would you? :rolleyes: Because it would either be that, or leaving right after baking and staying overnight somewhere else (even though that seems like a good idea, too ;) )

Really, I prefer not to have anybody use normal flour in this house, because it's otherwise just another source of cc (and heaven knows I get enough of that around here, with nobody caring, lets not add another thing).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I think one of the first things I was told by many people was to get all the flour and wheat out of the house. Mainly because of what you just said...that flour poofs and gets into your nasal passage which empties into your stomach.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it emptying into my stomach. I think this is good advice. I guess I need to take gluten free to the next level, and get it out of the house. Don't know if my husband will want to part with his bread though.

Valentine's Day I baked my husband a heart-shaped cake with wheat flour, and was sick with the usual gluten symptoms for a week! NOBODY is now allowed to bake with regular flour in this house. Either they have to go somewhere else to bake, or buy the cake. It sucks, but is necessary.

You may want to just make your kids gluten-free pancakes, they may not even notice the difference. If they complain, just tell them that making their usual pancakes makes you feel bad, and that they could either choose to eat something else for breakfast, or get used to the gluten-free pancakes. That's it, your health comes first.

As with soy: If you're intolerant to soy, everything made with it would be a definite problem. To know for sure, eliminate soy for a couple of weeks, and then have something obvious (like drinking a whole glass of soy milk, several times that day). Watch for delayed reactions, you could react the next day or even the day after that.

Ursula,

Wow! I never would have guessed baking but not consuming gluten could cause that much of a reaction. Now I'm sure that must have been the problem. What do you make of the aching lung feeling? Do you think that is celiac related? I have made gluten free pancakes in the past for my kids and they couldn't tell the difference, so I will switch back. Thank you for the suggestion on how to check for soy intolerance. I am going to do that in the near future.

Sarah

queenofhearts Explorer
Leah, I sort of think that it may be okay to bake with a dusk mask. Mind you, I have no idea how small the particles will be that are in the air, and if a dusk mask would keep them out. What has me concerned is, that fine particles will stay in the air for up to 24 hours. I wouldn't want to wear a dusk mask for that long, would you? :rolleyes: Because it would either be that, or leaving right after baking and staying overnight somewhere else (even though that seems like a good idea, too ;) )

Really, I prefer not to have anybody use normal flour in this house, because it's otherwise just another source of cc (and heaven knows I get enough of that around here, with nobody caring, lets not add another thing).

Oh, that's true about the lingering haze. I'm lucky that I'm the baker in the family; they gladly eat my gluten-free things & I don't have to worry about the air pollution!

Leah

rinne Apprentice

I worked in a bakery when I was 23 and though I didn't eat the products, after the first couple of months, I would still experience exhaustion, brain fog, dry mouth and swollen eyes after a day at work. I also started to get migraines that year. These days I won't even go into a bakery nor is there any gluten in our home.

I definitely think the flour is giving you a problem. The soy might be but the flour for sure.

gfp Enthusiast

There is a completely seperate illness which is reasonably common within bakers from breathing in the flour which is unrelated to celiac disease. However if you have celiac disease as well then any particualates you breath in above a certain threshhold are transported via the mucous into the digestive system.

The bakers can often eat gluten if they do not have celiac disease as well

However even preparing non gluten-free flours you are going to breath in enough to potentially trigger an immune reaction if you have celiac disease. It is practically impossible to mix flour and not have it floating around the air or find its way into your mouth. If you do it you will get contaminated sometime.

emcmaster Collaborator

Do you all think someone could get glutened if the bread flour is poured into the loaf pan outside and then carried inside? It then gets put into the breadmaker with the lid closed, but with all the mixing the breadmaker does, I'm wondering if little puffs of flour could get out through the cracks in the breadmaker and/or when he's carrying the flour-containing loaf pan from the porch to the kitchen.

Thanks!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Ursa Major Collaborator

Elizabeth, I have a friend with a daughter with celiac disease. The girl goes to college, but when she comes home, her mom cannot use her breadmaker to bake her own bread (she normally never buys bread), because Liz (another Elizabeth :) ) would get really sick otherwise.

So, apparently, using a breadmaker with regular flour in a household of someone with celiac disease is NOT a good idea. Don't do it, you'll regret it!

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Last night daddyO sat next to me at the kitchen counter eating 1/2 a box of WHEAT THINS. Within a few minutes I had to go for a walk I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin, my nervous system was freakin out. Today I have a loose stool as a result.

Oh, and by the way... daddyO doesn't believe he is a celiac (his test was a false negative I'm convinced) in the middle of the night 4 a.m. I woke to the horrifly screams from his nighmares. It went on for 20 minutes I got worried something was happening to him, so I went down stairs and woke him up. The smell from farting was so bad I had to cover my mouth to walk in the room. I really felt bad for him when I woke him up he had a sore throat, and a headache today.

These sound like my symptoms. My body reacts a lot like yours and your father's. I'm glad you posted this. It is really helpful to hear similar experiences. Thanks, :)

Sarah

Archived