#1 Rachel

Rachel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:24 AM

Hi!

My names Rachel and Iíve been wondering about celiacs disease. The reason being is my daughter has symptoms of celiacs, such as bloated tummy, extreme changes in bowel movements, aching muscles etc. I always wondered whether she has IBS but recently the paediatrician suggested a wheat intolerance. Anyway we went off wheat Deborah and I for a week and I started to read about celiacs and thought maybe I have it too, I have aching muscles, changes in bowel movement, bloating, stomach cramps, fatigue and generally not feeling real well. Originally they diagnosed me with a having diverticulitis and then after a colonoscopy found a growth and just told me I have IBS. Anyway my daughter and I both went off the wheat thing and have had bread etc and now we both feel really ill. I don't want to over react but its just I am tired of feeling ill, I often have gas, heartburn and so does my daughter.

Is it a co incidence??? Or should I consider testing? My daughterís paediatrician has sent a stool sample to the lab so we should get some results back this week. What do you think??

Oh and nice to meet you all :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alexolua

Alexolua

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Well gluten is in more things than just wheat. Umm.. Barley, Rye, some other grains I can't think of, lol. But, Wheat is a big source of gluten for most people, since we eat it more than the others, on average, I'd think.

But, not being an expert, I would say get tested for it! The removing wheat, feeling better, then feeling worse once it's introduced.. could be Celiac. If you can't find a doctor willing to test you though, just go gluten free on your own, sounds like you had success when you removed wheat, could have even more when you remove all sources of gluten. =)

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:39 PM

If you think your daughter has it, definitely test her. Since you have symptoms, you should be tested, too. If it turns out your daughter has celiac disease, then everyone in her family should be tested, regardless of symptoms (brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, parents)....it's likely that if she has it, someone else in her family will have it--after all, it's genetic, so it's passed down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: