Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Should We Be Tested?

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

My names Rachel and I

Ads by Google:

Well gluten is in more things than just wheat. Umm.. Barley, Rye, some other grains I can't think of, lol. But, Wheat is a big source of gluten for most people, since we eat it more than the others, on average, I'd think.

But, not being an expert, I would say get tested for it! The removing wheat, feeling better, then feeling worse once it's introduced.. could be Celiac. If you can't find a doctor willing to test you though, just go gluten free on your own, sounds like you had success when you removed wheat, could have even more when you remove all sources of gluten. =)

If you think your daughter has it, definitely test her. Since you have symptoms, you should be tested, too. If it turns out your daughter has celiac disease, then everyone in her family should be tested, regardless of symptoms (brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, parents)....it's likely that if she has it, someone else in her family will have it--after all, it's genetic, so it's passed down.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Should I get tested for Celiac Disease?
      I wanted to come back and give an update. I decided to have my rash biopsied when I got home from vacation and the results thankfully came back positive for DH. What really prompted me to go ahead with that was how reliably the rash would worsen within mere hours of eating gluten. I figured it would be the easiest way for me to definitely know and since I could actually see the damage I was pretty confident by eating gluten until the appointment something would show up. Luckily my experiments of going multiple days here and there in the weeks prior to the test didn't effect the results. (Obviously that probably isn't recommended and I was taking a chance at inconclusive results by going ahead with it so I'm fortunate I got the positive results I expected.) The dermatologist wants me to see a GI doc but for now I'm holding off on doing that because of all the reasons I mentioned previously. It is my understanding that DH qualifies me for the tax write off for food and the small intestine biopsy would just be a technicality and see how much intestinal damage is present. I will follow up with my family doc soon to do blood work and check for any deficiencies. Since finding out I've done pretty well. I did discover gluten in my shampoo after wondering why my elbows had flared up when I hadn't eaten gluten that day. I had gluten unintentionally this weekend in some sushi and I'm recovering from that at the moment but it hasn't been too bad compared to how I've felt most days for the last year and a half while eating it. I did connect with a lady in my ED recovery group who has celiac and we have been talking about navigating gluten free in the context of recovery/remission from anorexia. I think part of me was scared I'd become afraid of food again but I think as long as my only rule is to replace gluten I will be fine.  Now my latest gluten discovery is in my home hair color. I was about to color my grays when I read the label and noticed one ingredient was wheat gluten. I guess I'll exchange that for something different. If I was getting it done at a salon I probably wouldn't worry because of the way they rinse it out with your head tipped back in the bowl but at home I think it's harder to keep the water from running into my mouth accidentally. If I hadn't had the shampoo incident I probably wouldn't be so cautious. I'm sure some people can relate to trying to get well and not wanting to make things worse again! I hope everyone here is doing well!
    • Can U A Bone Marrow Donor?
      Another reply to an old thread. We have a family friend whose son (aged 4) is struggling with leukemia. I went through the initial process (online screening question/answer form) of donating bone marrow, but was immediately rejected by the automatic screening due to my Celiac Disease. 
    • TRUSTING OTHERS about GLUTEN! how do you know if someone has used gluten free flour?
      It can be difficult to refuse food from others but, with time, you can learn to not let it bother you.  Yeah, easier said than done, I know.  But your sense of humor came through in places in your post so use that to make "empowered no BS responses"!  
    • What Are Your Brands & Flavors Of Gluten Free Ice Cream ?
      This is a common sense answer!  I used to eat Godiva years ago and was dismayed they had no interest in appealing to anyone with a food allergy/intolerance.  That's OK......Ghirardelli chocolates are very good about divulging what they do and most of their chocolates are gluten-free.  Again, you have to understand label reading and investigate further, if need be.  Turns out, I think their chocolates are just as good, if not better.
    • Children and Gluten Freedom
      How do you know when your child has gluten sensitivity, gluten intolerance, or celiac disease? If gluten issues run in your family and you know there is a predisposition to having problems with gluten in foods, then you may be alert to signs that it has been passed on to your child. View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dave G