This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Restaurant In Dfw, Athens Or Keller? Desperate!

jazminecat

jazminecat Newbie

Hi, I"m going to visit my in-laws next week, and am wondering if anyone knows somewhere I can eat safely either coming from the airport, going to Keller, or near Athens? Somewhere that serves fish would be important since I am also a vegetarian who eats fish, and also can't eat dairy. I know, I know - I just don't go out to eat anymore, but they really want to take us somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously texans aren't going to want to eat at Outback.... They love Pappadeaux and Poppacitos though I don't know if there is anything I can eat there either. The last time they came here to visit, we went to a mexican place, and the only thing even remotely safe on the menu was a nice salad with all sorts of great things on it - avocado and cranberries, and walnuts.... and when I ordered it they said they couldn't make that today. Humiliated, I sat at the table while they all ate their lunches. (They had already ordered, and we were on a small island - not like there were other options...)

Anyway, we'd like to not repeat that. They felt terrible. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Carrabba's Italian Grille - Dallas

Don Pablo's - Fort Worth

El Chico -Dallas

Hard - Rock - Dallas

Maggiano's - Dallas

Outback Steakhouse - Everywhere

P.F. Chang's - Dallas - Fort Worth

Pei Wei Asian Diner - Dallas

Ruth's Chris - Dallas

Sullivan's - Dallas

Texas Roadhouse - Everywhere

ALL HAVE GLUTEN FREE MENUS....enjoy

celiacgirls Apprentice

I copied this from www.popartsplace.com/Celiac/. It lists places in Austin where other celiacs had a good experience. Since Pappadeaux is a chain, it would probably be the same in DFW.

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

Address:

North I35 & Hwy. 290 intersection

Part of Town: North

Phone: 452-9363

Cost:

Type of Food: Cajun/Creole

Recommended Items:

Pepper Shrimp

butterflied jumbo shrimp with a citrus glaze, served with dirty rice & asparagus

Order WITHOUT the citrus glaze because it contains soy sauce.

comments:

I always ask to speak with the manager who personally supervises my meal. I prefer the woman manager (didn't get her name) who seemed very knowledgeable when I presented my dining out card. She said this dish is popular with gluten-free customers. I have had the Pepper Shrimp on numerous occasions. Order WITHOUT the citrus glaze because it contains soy sauce. The beautiful dish has lots of spicy flavor. I really enjoy the peppery shrimp and the delicious dirty rice. It is a generous portion.

This recommendation thanks to Susan Read who ate there last in January of 2006

From a second recommendation, this one by Melissa M who last ate there Jan 2006...

Address:

6319 N IH-35

Part of Town: Northeast

Phone: 452-9363

Cost:

Type of Food: Cajun/Creole, Seafood (Crawfish, seafood)

Recommended Items: Blackened catfish (lunch = runs about $9) - expensive but a huge piece of fish!

Fresh oysters also (not sure abt the sauce)

Salads looked good, did not try.

Baked potato, veggies, all good.

comments: I ordered the catfish (plain not blackened) off the lunch menu and had no problems. For extra, they gave me a baked potato which was huge. It usually comes with grilled veggies. The minute after I ordered, the manager came to speak to me about my "wheat" allergy and when i clarified I was celiac, he immediately said "gluten" Imagine my joy! :)

tiffjake Enthusiast

I have been to the Red Robin and the PF Changs near DFW.

(Momma Goose-Texas Roadhouse no longer has a gluten-free menu. They revoked it, and are working on it. Just so you know. If you go to a local Texas Roadhouse, then you might be able to work with the managers there that you know, but as a general rule, they do not have a national gluten-free menu. I have called the corporate office about this several times.)

Lisa Mentor
I have been to the Red Robin and the PF Changs near DFW.

(Momma Goose-Texas Roadhouse no long has a gluten-free menu. They revoked it, and are working on it. Just so you know. If you go to a local Texas Roadhouse, then you might be able to work with the managers there that you know, but as a general rule, they do not have a national gluten-free menu. I have called the corporate office about this several times.)

Thanks T, I will make note as not to pass it along. :)

jazminecat Newbie

Thanks for all your ideas! Y'all are fast! I really appreciate it - I will print out this information and take it with us on Friday. :)

larry mac Enthusiast
.....Obviously texans aren't going to want to eat at Outback....

jmc,

Just curious what that means. We've only been there a couple times, and that was BC, so I'm not recommending it or anything. The Outback by our house (Dallas area suburbs basically) seems to be packed all the time.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast
jmc,

Just curious what that means. We've only been there a couple times, and that was BC, so I'm not recommending it or anything. The Outback by our house (Dallas area suburbs basically) seems to be packed all the time.

best regards, lm

Huh, I didn't catch that! Yeah, I don't get it either. I am a Texan, and I love Outback. Had dinner there last night, and tonight!

• 1 year later...
Boro Newbie

To anyone traveling the DFW area- I can recommend "Delicious 'N Fit" at 930 W. Parker in Plano. They have a kid friendly menu as well as a wide selection of hamburgers, sandwiches and salads for lunch, and often the wide varity from the dinner menu ( mutiple pasta dishes, fried catfish, pizza, etc) are available during lunch. All gluten free, and many soy free as well. Very good cake and cookies for dessert there or to take home. Friendly service, nothing fast paced.

I can also recommend "Outback Steakhouse" at several locations around town, ask for the 'Gluten Free Menu' , they will get you a copy. Good selection with items to avoid to keep yourself safe. :DDFW area :D

Archived