1 reply to this topic

#1 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:40 AM

Yesterday my 15 year old, who's been on a gluten-free diet for 3 months now, accidentally ate 3 prezel thin cookie sticks (a tradition from 1st grade when a friend came back from Asia, he'd bring these.) My son said he ate them without a single thought except how wonderful they tasted. 10 minutes later his body was covered in a light, bright red rash, he started exhibiting intense allergy symptoms (sneezing, watery eyes, etc.) These were his usual signs before going gluten-free, just not so bad! Then, however, he started getting queasy. His joints all began aching. And, to top it off, he got his first migraine. This morning he's still draggy with a hangover headache and the aches and allergy symptoms, not as bad though. His face is still red, but no rash, the rest of his body has cleared.

He complained at first when I put him on this diet that he really wasn't that bad or that intolerant and being gluten-free was so much trouble. Now, he and I know what his body really feels about gluten. I feel so bad for him :( but it's better to get this poison out and away from his system now than have it slowly damage him over the course of his life.

Someone stated that they didn't know why anyone would go on this diet without getting all the testing proof first. My son's blood tests came back just barely into the positive numbers. The doctor was ambivalent about the diet. Said it was up to me, basically. I didn't get the biopsy (since I decided to go by way of the diet anyway and the dr said with the numbers, it was very unlikely he'd test positive.) I find it interesting that most people are totally willing to take pills whether they're prescribed, OTC or homeopathic stuff, yet will not even consider altering their diets to improve their health unless it's the last option.

We're a weird animal. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:04 AM

We are a weird animal! I would much rather change my diet than take a pill, it puts everything in my control that way. Now your son knows for certain what gluten does to his body, he will be more likely to avoid it in the future!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: