Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Igg Food Antibody Assessment Questions

4 posts in this topic

I'm reposting this in hopes of some help. I had this test done and the results are confusing to me. I scored the highest on tuna and cane sugar. Many other foods were listed, many of which I never eat. My question is how do I remove all of these foods, most are things I eat daily (milk, corn, rice). How reliable are these tests. My GI dr. doesn't consider them at all. Also, why wouldn't wheat or rye show up and oats did. (Don't eat any of them).

Please advise.

Thanks

Kathy

Ads by Google:

Kathy,

the tests aren't at all reliable. To know for sure what bothers you, eliminate the foods from your diet one by one. Start with the highest scoring foods (tuna) and don't eat any tuna for 2 weeks. Do eat everything else. Keep careful notes. If you notice absolutely no difference, start eating tuna again and remove cane sugar. If you aren't sure if there's any difference, don't eat tuna for another 2 weeks.

Do this with all the foods you tested positive on (and actually want to eat). Any that you decide make you feel bad, remove from your diet completely. After you've tested all the foods, you can try eating a little of the ones with less intense reactions to see if you can tolerate them in small amounts (except gluten).

Does that help a little?

Kathy -

The real test of whether you are intolerant will actually come when you add the food back in. If you are intolerant, it will hit you like a brick wall. Watch for nausea, headaches, swelling in the extremities, bloating of the abdominal area, excess flatulation among others. If you add the food back in on a daily basis, you should know within 2 days if you intolerant. You may be able to eat the food on an irregular basis, though not daily.

An excellent source for food allergy information is a doctor who suffers a lot of these allergies himself - Dr. William R. Walsh, M.D. - his book - Food Allergies: The Complete Guide to Understanding & Relieving your Food Allergies is very helpful.

My doctor told me to eliminate everything I tested positive for (but I could leave in the ones below the midpoint low) for two weeks and then add back in one food at a time every 4-7 days. You need to give yourself time to recover from a reaction should you have one, which can take up to 3 days. You also need to consider that you may be ok at first and start reacting once you've had more of that food, say a couple days later.

I've copied over a paper my doctor gave me. Hopefully it will help. :)

Food Allergies

Food allergies are a problem created by a disordered immune system. Normally, the immune system, or body