#1 whattodo

whattodo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I am on a gluten free diet for the past 4 days. I am 110% sure that i have not had any gluten. However the last 3 days have been a nightmare.

I constantly feel like im drunk, slow reactions and dizzy spells. Is this what evertone refers to as "brain fog". I dont feel sick or anything just tired and cant concentrate.

The thing i cant understand it that everyone states that they get brain fog when they eat gluten, is it possible to have it whilst starting the process for going clean. I understand that my intestines may need to heal but i didnt get it as bad when not on the gluten free diet.

I hope this is a passing phase.......

Will additional vitamins help or a certain type of food?

Jason
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HannahHannah

HannahHannah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hi Jason,

You're not alone! When I first became gluten-free, I completely had all of the symptoms you described. I even went back to my doctor to ask if it was normal. It could be that you are being glutened without knowing, but it could simply be your body getting used to things.

Remember, even though gluten is evil to us folk, your body is used to getting it, and I'm sure has been for many years. You've effectively cut out an entire food group and it'll take a while for your body to adjust. I've been gluten-free since February this year, and though it's only a couple of months, pretty much all of the tiredness and lack of concentration I felt when first switching has passed. Don't worry - it will pass, and you will feel like a million dollars at the end of it!

There's no harm in taking a multivitamin - I've heard some talk here that especially those with magnesium and iron may help. I'm sure vitamins will do you good while you're adjusting and getting used to what you can and can't eat, as I found that I just wasn't eating enough as I'd lost my appetite.

One thing I would recommend is snacking on seeds. Sounds boring I know, but sunflower and pumpkin seeds (Holland & Barrett do them in big bags with pine nuts) really do keep me going (and it's better than snacking on chocolate while I'm pining for cake!).

Good luck! Remember, it will pass!
Gluten-free since February 2007

#3 UNCHeel

UNCHeel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:13 AM

In my opinion we're all also reducing our sugar intake which reduces the bad yeast in your system that we all have from the processed foods we ate so while this is a good thing it can kind of feel funky. I was diagnosed at the same time as Hannah it sound slike and I agree that my cincentration and focus are a million times better plus I lost all the crazy fatigue I had all these years so hang in there!!

#4 Nancym

Nancym

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

There's probably an element of withdrawl symptoms from gluten (and dairy) since they break down into opiod like peptides. Give it a couple of weeks, you should start feeling better very soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: