This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Gluten Sensitivity (fecal Antigliadin Iga) Score < 15

zorax2

zorax2 Newbie

I'm curious - has anyone with a Enterolab gluten sensitivity (Fecal antigliadin IgA antibody) score of 15 or less (>= 10 indicates sensitivity to gluten) had a positive blood test or tested positive for celiac disease by way of biopsy?

Enterolab says that you either react or you don't like either you're pregnant or your not. Will a person with a low score be at greater risk for celiac? And, what if you go gluten free and for whatever reason return to a normal diet - will you know if you are actually a celiac?

Members of my family and extended family had scores of 9, 11, 14 and 14. We're wondering how far to go with blood tests, biopsies, etc.

Thanks for your answers!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Did you get the fecal fat test done? That would show malabsorption that celiacs often have and make it more likely you have villi issues.

Enterolab doesn't diagnose celiac disease, they diagnose gluten sensitivity. So you might have it or you might not. Lots of times the blood tests don't even find it yet the biopsy does.

zorax2 Newbie

I didn't have the malabsorption test done on any of us. Doing 6 people at $120 (gluten sensitivity only) a pop was already a stretch.

I went in to have the Gastroenterologist to do blood tests on me. I should get the results this week. Given my symptoms, he scheduled a biopsy for the following week. I'm curious how things will turn out.

I'm just not sure what to do with the other family members.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I had a score of 60 and tested negative for celiac in both the blood test and the biopsy.

I tested 32 for casein intolerance, went off dairy for six months, and added it back in several months ago. I have no issues at all with dairy.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I can't remember my Enterolab score, but it was a low positive. I had a negative blood test, but my biopsy showed clear damage.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I can't remember my Enterolab score, but it was a low positive. I had a negative blood test, but my biopsy showed clear damage.

I tend to think a low positive Enterolab score is probably worse than a high one. That seems counter-intuitive, but my immune system is all wacked out from Lyme ... I think that is why it was reacting so strongly to the gluten/casein.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
I tend to think a low positive Enterolab score is probably worse than a high one.

Carla,

I'm curious, what makes you think that?

I was actually gluten free/lite for several months before my Enterolab tests. I don't know if that would affect my scores.

Actually before my endoscopy too. I was doing a dietary test, and was unaware that I was supposed to keep eating gluten for the endoscopy. It still showed damage, so I wonder if I was jsut slow to heal, or if I wasn't yet doing a good job avoiding gluten, or if it would have looked even worse before.

Geoff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Myself and my daughter tested at 14, oldest son at 10.5 and he had low malabsorption, and my husband was negative at 4. My youngest was too young to be tested.

I could have had the blood test done but I had been very gluten lite for 1 1/2 months due to intolerance (ELISA) testing, so I opted for enterolab.

Nancym Enthusiast

I bet Enterolab has information about this, you might try emailing them. They did have a 100% correlation between celiacs and their fecal antibody testing. He is a researcher so he probably does have info about this.

VydorScope Proficient
I was actually gluten free/lite for several months before my Enterolab tests. I don't know if that would affect my scores.

Yes it would, and is likely why you got a "low" positive. The longer your gluten-free, the lower your score SHOULD be.

Archived