5 replies to this topic

#1 Mally-bug

Mally-bug

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

I have been making soy and 'naked juice' brand juice smoothies since going gluten-free this month. BUT now I see maltodextrin as an ingredient. I read the safe and unsafe foods list and the special note about US FDA making sure maltodextrin is made from corn or potato starch. How do I know Naked Juice is ok for sure??? Has anyone out there found any problems with the 'naked juice' products?
gluten free since 7-07 with positive dietary response
Enterolab results positive for gluten sensitivity

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

This comes from the FAQ section on their website:

Is there gluten in Naked Juices?

All Naked Juice products, with the exception of Green Machine, are gluten free. Fruit and vegetable juices are naturally gluten free. Gluten is the protein within the kernels of wheat, rye and barley grains. The gluten in Green Machine is derived from wheat grass.

http://www.nakedjuice.com/main.php
Hope that helps.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

love my naked juice!!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#4 JohnnyOh

JohnnyOh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Here is my letter asking about cross contamination, and the relevant part of their response follows. They basically say they would use a "May Contain" statement if the juice is made on shared equipment with wheat containing products.

=====
Hi,
I have heard good things about Naked Juices, and would love to try them out! I just had a quick question first, though. I have an allergy to wheat, and so I was wondering if any Naked Juice drinks or their ingredients (like the Protein Zone) are handled on the same machines/equipment that also process Naked Juices or other items that have wheat in them (like Green Machine which has "wheat grass" in it). Basically I'm just curious if there is any possibility of cross-contamination, or if some juices are made separately.
Thanks for any info!
=====

=====
Date: January 20, 2009 9:15:16 AM CST

We appreciate your interest in trying Naked Juice and understand your concern over the possible presence of wheat in our juices. Here at Naked Juice we follow all FDA guidelines and that includes the labeling of the top eight allergens.

If a product contains any of the top eight allergens (Milk, Egg, Fish, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Shellfish, Soy, Wheat) , it will be listed in the ingredient list as well as bolded at the end of the ingredient list. This includes all natural and artificial flavors.

We also use a May Contain' statement that would be listed on the package in the event a product is run on a line that also produces a product that contains a top eight allergen and we cannot be 100% confident that the allergen would not carry over resulting in incidental exposure.

Therefore, we suggest that you review the ingredient list of our products before enjoying them to be sure they are wheat free.
=====

#5 Rocketlegs

Rocketlegs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

Ugh, so Green Machine has gluten? I just bought a big bottle of it!!

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

Ugh, so Green Machine has gluten? I just bought a big bottle of it!!

The information from above was posted in 2007 and things may have changed since then. That said, does the bottle you bought have wheat grass as an ingredient? If so it it not safe.

Be warned: Some items with wheat grass or barley grass will also be labeled "gluten free" but don't trust that it means they are free enough of gluten to consume safely for those with celiac or gluten intolerance. The wheat "grass" was likely harvested/processed with the same equipment as the wheat berries (where the gluten protien is) and it's very likely a few wheat berries are mixed in with the grass.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: