#1 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

This from York Labs:

“Delayed-onset food allergies are commonly reversible. If you completely eliminate the allergic foods for 6 to 9 months, you can reintroduce most of them (approx. 86%) back into your diet and remain symptom free.”

Please all comments are welcome. The gist of what the are saying in their published book is that food allergies can fade based on how long you have been without and can even reoccur if you starting eating the offending food too often. I wonder if gluten is relevant here. It is also suggested that you can acquire new allergies if you replace eliminated food with too much or too often of a new type.

PS Working with York on my results has been a real pleasure and I recommend and respect their lab.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:39 AM

I'm a total newbie here and new to gluten-free as well so I probably shouldn't be answering this, but if you have celiac its not an allergy so that information wouldn't apply, however if you only have a wheat allergy then perhaps it might apply to your situation.

susan

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:45 AM

<_< and on the other hand----some times an allergic reaction to something is mild the 1st time and keeps getting worse after each reaction--my son was allergic to pediamyacin--the 1st reaction was mild hives--the 2nd reaction months later was more pronounced hives and the 3rd time and last--he borke out in huge hives that covered his body and i refused to give him that medication ever again--as for us--we all know that we may go months without any gluten and when we do get some---we are sick and not just for a day--sometimes over a week or longer----i dont put any stock in that report--they would have to prove that to me on someone else--not me ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:48 AM

I have seen this statement and have wondered the same thing. All my tests for celiac disease came back normal/negative. My allergy tests have shown these are not "true" allergies so I look at them as intolerances. My docs have all said that I will never be able to eat these foods again. Wow that I have figured this all out and feel better.

Right now, I am not hoping for the adding back in to the diet but do plan to try some of the foods after a full year. I still have occasional problems - all due to cross contamination while out or with other people that come into our house and are not as careful as we are.

Also, my reactions have gotten more severe, not less so that leads me to believe the docs just might be right.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:47 AM

gluten intolerance is not an allergy - the same rules do not apply.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

I believe this is generally true for IgG mediated allergies, which is what York tests you for. Gluten sensitivity is predominately IgA mediated. There is also the genetics issue. If you try this, your anatomy may well tell you loud and clear how successful you are. If you are asymptomatic, you won't get the message and may cause yourself a lot of trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: