Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Just Got Diagnosed Now What

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have read a lot of your post and I thnak you all for the imformation I have read. It's been very helpfull.

I lost almost 30 pounds in a matter of 3 months. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I was eating donuts every morning and pizza every day. I should have been the size of a house. I finally broke down and saw the DR. I got the diagnosis today. I'm a celiac. Holy cow a what!!!!!! :o:o

I just opened my own pizza shop 2 months ago. :angry: I was eating all of our types of pizza so I knew what I was selling. BIG mistake. The over indulgance of pizza made me lose weight. What a concept! Now I'm only 104 pounds and look anorexic, i'm completely unhealthy. I started eating everything to make me gain weight. That backfired too. Everything I was eating was reversing the weight. Lesson learned.

So now that I have this CS where do I go from here? It's going todrive me crazy not being able to eat my own pizza.

If anybody has a good gluten-free pizza crust recipe I could use it.

Ads by Google:

Christy,

Ah I feel so bad for you, just figures you open this great shop and now Celiac creeps its way ujp! I'm sorry I don't have a recipe to post, but if you do a search there are SEVERAL posts on here w with various pizza recipes. And being as that what you do, I am sure with a bit of trial and erro you can figure out a great balance from the recipes given. And please post when do youdo!

I love pizza, and its been great playing around with the different crusts. Good luck, and keep us posted!

:( sorry Christy, to be giving more info you wont want to hear, but you are going to have to be very careful in your pizza shop--airborn flour is as bad for us as eating it--we can get very sick just by breathing too much flour in--my sister became very ill when making her kids rolled out sugar cookies--you may need to check further into this--sorry, deb

There's a bakery (that does all the baking for it's 3 restaurants and other area retailers) near my kids' gymnastics studio that has a great latte... Well, every time I go in there I get sores in my nose. They're totally annoying, but I haven't had any of my other glutened reactions, not even the headaches. It may be you'll be fine. Wear a face mask when mixing doughs?

You might want to contact the baker for Wholefoods that has just started a gluten-free baking (factory?) for the chain. In the bio I read about him, he worked in the regular bakery, with celiac disease, for well over a decade. You can ask him how he handled the flour in the air, if it even bothered him.

Now, you do realize your business will very popular with this group, don't you? Find a good gluten-free pizza crust, let your area know you have it, and you'll have every celiac/wheat allergy individual frequenting your place in no time! (For a gluten-free pizza crust I use the recipe for Crumpets from Bette Hagman's "More from the Gluten Free Gourmet." One recipe makes a large round pizza pan worth. I bake it a bit before topping, top and rebake. My kids really like it.)

Christy- I just wanted to say I am so sorry. WOW opening a pizza shop to find out you have celiac.

I agree be careful with the airborne flour. And let us know where you are, so when you find that perfect crust we can eat, we can come by and have some. :) Boy I miss pizza

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Michael, That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Megan, Did the doctor test you for celiac disease?  You really shouldn't go gluten-free until all the testing for celiac disease is completed.  It is a little odd for a doctor to tell you to go gluten-free for no reason IMHO.  Did he/she explain the reason for it? Personally, I have learned over the years what I can eat safely and what I can't.  Occasionally I get hit but it is rare.  Simplifying your diet is a good first step.  Avoiding processed foods for a while and dairy also is good.  I suggest any change you make last for a month at least. Then try the food again. If you are eating 100 random ingredients/foods each day it is hard to figure these things out.  If you reduce it to a much smaller number of foods then things become simpler. Welcome to the forum!
    • hey! Wondering if I can get some good info/help from you guys! I just signed up for this website couple weeks ago. Whenever I would Google things this was always the first to pop up and I always found info on things I googled. I am pretty new to the gluten free thing. I had a hernia surgery back in Jan and after that I kept throwing up after eating, the DR. told me it was probably acid reflex caused from surgery but all the meds I tried nothing helped. I went back and was told to cut gluten out. I have been doing so since. When I first started I felt like I had it under control and didn't throw up for 3 weeks, now I find it happening more often. I do buy gluten-free things and read labels to the best I can. My frustration comes from not knowing what its from. How do you know if its from the day before or what you just ate? I hate not knowing. Especially when I haven't had gluten (or so I think) I have been keeping a journal but I just find it so hard. I get this feeling in my stomach and can feel it in my throat. Sometimes I puke once sometimes 5 times! Yesterday for lunch I made an omlet with chicken mushrooms and feta cheese. I threw up almost 20 min after. I have also tried the no dairy thing and it doesn't seem to make a difference so I don't think dairy is an issue as well.
    • I have been on a gluten-free diet for exactly one-year. During that time, I have had no stomach issues or problems when I inadvertently ingested gluten. The other day, I had GI discomfort (no vomiting or diarrhea) and my blood pressure spiked t0 200/98 (normally 119/75). As my GI discomfort subsided, my pressure crept back to normal. This took about 16-hours. I know that I ingested something with gluten, which I had thought was gluten-free.  It never bothered me before. Should I expect that the longer I'm gluten-free, the more susceptible I will be to having a pronounced reaction to inadvertent gluten exposure? Has anyone else had similar experiences with blood pressure spikes?
    • If this is helpful: My local public library had a copy of Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.  There is a Facebook group, I believe it is easily found by searching SCD Diet, and it's a closed group.  If you go directly to the official website of Breaking the Vicious Cycle, there's lots of information for free available, including the basics about the intro diet and beyond.  I would go to the original source of this diet rather than go to other groups/books who have perhaps veered away from Elaine Gottschall's fundamentals. Best wishes to you!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ayryil