This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Banana Nut Muffins With Candied Ginger And Coconut

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

Banana Nut Muffins with Candied Ginger and Coconut

Gluten Soy & Dairy Free

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup organic coconut flour

4 large organic eggs

4 tb virgin coconut oil

3 tb coconut milk

1 ts pure vanilla

2 ripe bananas

1/4 cup shredded coconut

1/4 cup chopped pecans

1 tb minced candied ginger

1 ts baking powder

1/2 ts baking soda

pinch kosher or sea salt

1/2 ts saigon cinnamon

1/4 ts ground cloves

1/4 ts cardamom

Preheat oven to 350F.

In your favorite mixer, put eggs and sugar, set on low to dissolve sugar crystals, then add coconut milk, oil, vanilla and spices, let blend for about a minute. Turn off motor and add remaining dry ingredients. Blend well.

Prepare muffin tins with Pam spray. Fill each with batter to tops.

Bake 20 minutes.

Makes about 10-12.

Enjoy! :)

It's getting cold and I want spicy stuff! LOL :lol:

lovelove

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Would you QUIT IT!!! I'm too tired to bake and now I'm all friggin hungry thanks to YOU!!!! <_<

Lisa Mentor

:lol: Wow that sounds great.

I wonder if you could add candied ginger to Pamela's yellow cake mix Pound Cake. (yeah, I know...I'm a slacker). I've added Heath Candy Chips, Macadamians and Coconut.

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't eat coconut :angry:

MMM HEATH BARS! I used to keep the toffee chips in my freezer before I knew I was lac-tarded :lol:B)

Try the baking mix! Psh that is how I did it until I lost my mind and bought more than one gluten free ingredient at a time! ;) hahaha

I like keeping muffins around to munch on when I am not shoveling cookies in my mouth HAHAHA

God wait til I break out the pumpkin again... it's almost time!

Patti can you use a mix and omit the coconut stuff?

LOVELOVE

jerseyangel Proficient

Collette--

I've actually been meaning to ask you.....would a flour mix or just straight rice flour be an ok sub for coconut flour? I'd love to be able to use coconut, since it's so healthy, but I'm sensitive to pretty much all plant proteins <_<

Patti, would the 'plant proteins' include almond flour too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Patti, would the 'plant proteins' include almond flour too?

Yeah, I think fiber is another thing needed to replace coconut flour, so maybe rice bran?

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm good with almonds--the rice bran is a good idea, too. I've never tried that.

With sensitivities to soy tapioca and coconut, baking is a juggling substitution act :lol:

Thanks ladies :D

GlutenFree2 Newbie

That looks very good. Thanks for posting it.

I'm good with almonds--the rice bran is a good idea, too. I've never tried that.

With sensitivities to soy tapioca and coconut, baking is a juggling substitution act :lol:

Thanks ladies :D

I'd say one cup of coconut flour would be replaced by one cup of potato/corn starch with two tbsps taken out of it and replaced with rice bran. Also, you'll need to reduce the amount of liquid or egg in the recipe since coconut flour uses up so much eggs and fluid.

jerseyangel Proficient
I'd say one cup of coconut flour would be replaced by one cup of potato/corn starch with two tbsps taken out of it and replaced with rice bran. Also, you'll need to reduce the amount of liquid or egg in the recipe since coconut flour uses up so much eggs and fluid.

Great--thanks! :D

Rice bran sounds good...might have to pick some of that up! :)

I am actually kind of getting a kick out of flour-swapping! LOL!!! B):lol:

It makes us think outside the box and get creative

lovelove

Rice bran sounds good...might have to pick some of that up! :)

I am actually kind of getting a kick out of flour-swapping! LOL!!! B):lol:

It makes us think outside the box and get creative

lovelove

For spicy stuff, try using 1/4 of the recipe with teff flour. It gives a very moist crumb, and a nice earthy flavor. Don't go over a quarter unless what you're doing is chocolate though, starts to taste kinda funny (to me).

Isn't teff a darker flour too? :)

Green12 Enthusiast

These sound wonderful!

Here's another challenge, I can't have bananas or vanilla. Do you think mango puree would work in place of the bananas?? I know coconut and mango go well together (I have coconut mango smoothies :D ) but I am just not sure if mango jives with all of these wonderful spices.

And what would leaving the vanilla out do to the finished product?

YUM

YES!!! Pineapple even...OHOH or pear puree LOL :lol:

You can use ginger with any tropical fruit! B)

DAM! I would be sad if I couldn't have vanilla.

found this: Open Original Shared Link

lovelove

Isn't teff a darker flour too? :)

yes, which is one reason I recommend it for heavier, spicy/ or chocolate stuff. The taste blends well with peanut butter flavor too.

Thanks, Doll. I am going to see if I can't find a bag of that and a bag of Rice Bran when I am @ health food store this afternoon! B)

lovelove

Thanks, Doll. I am going to see if I can't find a bag of that and a bag of Rice Bran when I am @ health food store this afternoon! B)

lovelove

Yeah, rice bran is good when you don't want the gamy flavor of flax. Don't use as much rice bran as you would flax, either, it makes things mealy if you use too much, it doesn't gel like flax does. Ex: two Tbps flax seed: one Tbsp rice bran.

It's funny how flax's composition is so much like psyllium... the way it gels! LOL ;):lol:

It's funny how flax's composition is so much like psyllium... the way it gels! LOL ;):lol:

I wonder how psyllium fiber would work with baking...

Hmmmm......

Psyllium fiber for silly-yaks. My boyfriends gonna love this one.

Is BF a wheat-tard like us? :lol:;)

Is BF a wheat-tard like us? :lol:;)

Well, he discovered after moving in with me and eating gluten-free all the time that when he does have pizza or whatever somewhere he has some rather 'unfriendly' side effects (whew) so he usually doesn't eat any. I think my boyfriend may be the most understanding guy on the planet. When it comes to Celiac, I mean. He won't even let anyone in the house without washing their hands.

purple Community Regular
Well, he discovered after moving in with me and eating gluten-free all the time that when he does have pizza or whatever somewhere he has some rather 'unfriendly' side effects (whew) so he usually doesn't eat any. I think my boyfriend may be the most understanding guy on the planet. When it comes to Celiac, I mean. He won't even let anyone in the house without washing their hands.

He sounds like a keeper :D

Archived