Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Family And Friends...

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been having a hard time with family and friends with things being gluten free. When I was first diagnosed my family didnt believe there was such a thing as Celiac Disease...my family actually googled the term to see if I made it up...that hurt a whole lot..they dont understand that a simple thing as a bread crumb can make me ill for days...I have gotten into arguments that I just dont have a simple food allergy...but I cant seem to get it across to them..they will embarrass me as family socials by calling me silly yak girl or arent you the one who has silicone disease... I have a brother was comes by often whom I love dearly...he brings things to the house to eat when I tell him those things have gluten in them I cant eat it...he tells me to stop just eat it what harm can it really do...

When family comes over I try to tell them that my kitchen is gluten free please dont get crumbs or contimanted it and no one listens to me...I find I spend alot of time crying over this...I have two teenagers at home whom often forget about the contamination also...but they are learning after I become sick for days...

I just wanted to vent and see if anyone else goes through the same with family...Sometimes I think this is bigger than I can handle...

Lauri

Ads by Google:

Im sorry your family is not being very compassionate or understanding. You may want to plan a visit to your doctor and take your Mom along so that she can hear it from an M.D. This might make it more of a reality for her and hopefully she will then spread that to others in your family.

Oh, that is horrible. I have had a hard time with my husbands family. We used to live with them, but have luckily bought our own little place and gotten out of there. I know it can hurt real bad with family like that.

Sounds like they need to get educated about the situation. ShayFL's suggestion sounds like a good one.