This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free One Month And Have Questions

robomet

robomet Newbie

I was diagnosed one month ago and have not yet been glutened, at least not that I am aware of. I was pretty asymptomatic, severe anemia was my indicator which led to biopsy/endoscopy, tested positive.

I have gained twenty pounds over the last two years and can't take it off, wonder if it will eventually happen. I exercise five days a week and have a very healthy diet.

What I have noticed is I can not tolerate foods I used to eat prior to going gluten-free. I bloat after drinking soy milk and have developed an extremely gassy stomach after eating virtually any meal, has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your input, just TRYING to figure it out!

I don't feel this is too difficult to live with as I adore cooking and am versed enough to question any chef in a restaurant. I could go crazy if I start to NOT trust restaurants, I simply speak with the manager, waiter and chef in detail and hope for the best!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kdaley Newbie

Google Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. Sounds very much like your symptoms, and is very common for people with Celiacs. I am recovering from it now - good luck!

Kelly

Amber M Explorer
I was diagnosed one month ago and have not yet been glutened, at least not that I am aware of. I was pretty asymptomatic, severe anemia was my indicator which led to biopsy/endoscopy, tested positive.

I have gained twenty pounds over the last two years and can't take it off, wonder if it will eventually happen. I exercise five days a week and have a very healthy diet.

What I have noticed is I can not tolerate foods I used to eat prior to going gluten-free. I bloat after drinking soy milk and have developed an extremely gassy stomach after eating virtually any meal, has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your input, just TRYING to figure it out!

I don't feel this is too difficult to live with as I adore cooking and am versed enough to question any chef in a restaurant. I could go crazy if I start to NOT trust restaurants, I simply speak with the manager, waiter and chef in detail and hope for the best!

Welcome. I, for one, do not feel safe at resturants. I'm too afraid of cross contamination. If your only a month, I am not surprised you are having other intolerances. I have had many in my 5 months. I was allergic to soy for years anyway, but many celiacs have to give up other things during the healing process. All grains except rice are usually hard to digest for awhile at least. Dairy for alot of people too. I suspect you are having a problem with soy too.

I had to start taking digestive enzymes because I had the same problems as you. I take "Digest" by "Enzymedica" I can not take the fruit enzymes yet, but the digest is food enzymes that your system is not able to produce right now. It's harmless and may help. Check it out. Everything on this site that is suggested I researched myself before making decisions. This would be my advice to you. But my system digests much better although I still can not eat certain grains yet. Read around, you will learn alot that will help you. I do not know what I would do without this group!

• 2 weeks later...
wschmucks Contributor

Hello! I have similar symptoms. I gained weight for about 2 years (now i yo, yo) and still am bloated after every single meal and feel gassy (only 2 months gluten-free). Did the Dr do a stool sample on you? Have them run a stool sample to check your flora levels and to see if you have any bacterial infections. Also have them do a blood test for any food intolerance, that way you know for sure and can attack this in the proper way. I would STOP eating out-- 100%. There is nooooo way you arent being cross contaminated at restaurants, even if you question them (I personally would not enter a restaurant for about 6 months, if ever). I take probiotics daily (your stool sample will let you know if there is one that youre deficient in), digestive enzyme (make sure its gluten-free) and i just started taking Fennel for the bloating...not sure if its helping or not. Give it time, its suppose to take about 6-12 months for those symptoms to go away, but the eating out is just going to prolong that time period. I also drink TONS of peppermint tea, it just makes me feel less bloated. Good luck!

fran641 Contributor

have developed an extremely gassy stomach after eating virtually any meal, has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your input, just TRYING to figure it out!

These were the symptoms I had prior to going gluten-free 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was so surprised the first time I ate and was not in pain from gas and bloating. I haven't wanted to go to restaurants so I could see how I feel with my environment controlled. I would have something to go by if my symptoms returned after eating out.

ang1e0251 Contributor

If you're still bloating after every meal, you may be eating hidden gluten or be reacting to another allergen like dairy. Keeping a food diary w/symptoms can be helpful nailing it down.

Archived