3 replies to this topic

#1 *lee-lee*

*lee-lee*

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

i got a cold last week and for other allergy reasons, Mucinex is the only OTC medicine i seem to be able to take without a problem. i had a bottle of the regular branded Mucinex and a bottle of the stuff from Walmart, called Mucus Relief Sinus. i emailed both companies to verify gluten content (or lack there of). here are their responses, in case anyone is interested:

Thank you for your email regarding Mucinex®.

In response to your inquiry, while Mucinex® products are not formulated with any ingredients that contain gluten, we have not certified that these products are gluten free.

We appreciate your interest in our product and we are sorry we could not be more helpful.

Sincerely,
Cate O'Brian
Consumer Relations
Reckitt Benckiser North America

--------------------------------

A few moments ago, I left word through your voice mail about the Mucus Relief Sinus product at Wal-Mart. Per that message, I am writing to confirm that the product is gluten-free. Should you have any further questions, please call me at 800-794-6761 and when prompted, enter the PIN # 15.

Thanks.

Earl Cassell
VP of Sales
LNK International, Inc.
60 Arkay Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788
PH: 732-536-6888
CELL: 631-759-1449
FX: 603-947-3264
ecassell@LNKintl.com

i was surprised at the response from Mucinex because i read on this board their products are gluten free. i actually started taking their meds on Friday evening and haven't had a problem. i guess it's just a CYA statement.
5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies
6/24/2008 - negative biopsy
8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free
(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

What the Mucinex folks are telling you is that while they don't test for gluten they use ingredients that as far as they know are gluten free. Just because a company won't certify doesn't mean an item is not safe, just that they can't certify that it is without testing. If you haven't had any problems with the item it is most likely safe.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 lyceum

lyceum

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

I think it might not just be CYA... I'm not celiac, but I am allergic to wheat, with pretty immediate and unambiguous symptoms. I was fine with Mucinex when it was produced by Adams Respiratory. But I see now the packaging has changed, and it's made by Reckitt Benckiser. Both companies included 'sodium starch glycolate' as the last of the inactive ingredients... and apparently that can be sourced from corn, potatoes or wheat.

Anyway, I caught a cold and started taking Mucinex from the new box... and am now distinctly getting a reaction. Fortunately, I can combat it a bit with an anti-histamine, but of possible things to have suddenly switch to the dark side, extended-time release medicines are not my favorite pick.

I'm happy to hear the walmart brand still calls itself gluten-free, mucinex has been handy and I'd hate to have to abandon it entirely.

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

I took one yesterday and didn't even give it thought to check if the mucinex D was gluten free. I did not have any problems with it at all.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: