This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tired/fuzzy/ Swollen/bloated But No Stomach Distress?

yumyummum

yumyummum Rookie

Has anyone tested positive for celiac with the *only* symptoms being extreme exhaustion and that fuzzy brain feeling? Weepy/depressed. I also get a "moon" face and stomach bloating.

These are my symptoms. No stomach issues.

I have gained weight over the past 3 years and seem to CRAVE gluten products. I find that if I eat one thing with flour I get that exhausted and feel that NEED to eat more craving.

So without testing I have gone gluten free to see. (My son has allergies and I am up on elimination diets). I feel like a NEW PERSON!!!! I have ENERGY and feel like "myself" again after 3 years. I THOUGHT I was depressed and couldn't concentrate and even went on meds which did not help and after 2 years finally weaned off of.

SO then I had a small amount of food that had wheat in it and within 10 mins I got that feeling of EXHAUSTION...like I just want to get in bed and sleep. (which i did). My heart even races a little.

So, I guess I am now convinced something is going on. Whether I have celiac or not I will avoid wheat because I feel so much better.

WONDERING if anyone else has celiac without stomach issues?

Is it important to confirm diagnoses?

Where can I turn for more information?

Thanks so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samcarter Contributor

Yep, i have those symptoms. My EMA test came back negative, but I am not fussed about needing an "Official" diagnosis. I tell people now that I have celiac disease, because honestly, they take it more seriously than "gluten intolerance" or "wheat allergy". For some reason.

If i get glutened, I get exhausted. It's not the typical "I'm tired because i didn't sleep well", it's the "somebody slipped sleeping pills in my drink" exhaustion. And fuzzy and depressed, and cravings--yep.

If you want to look into official celiac testing, you will have to be eating gluten for a good number of weeks before getting your blood drawn and possibly an intestinal biopsy. Then again, some people come back negative (I did). Some people have symptoms without having serious intestinal damage. So even if you get tested, you may not test positive.

For my money, a positive response to dietary change is a very good sign that gluten is poison to my body. I didn't always have stomach issues, either--those started just last year, and I only get them now after getting accidentally glutened. My guess is I'm more sensitive now after cutting gluten out of my diet.

yumyummum Rookie

Thanks so much for your response! And yes, the "somebody slipped me sleeping pills" is EXACTLY a good way of putting it.

I have 2 friends with celiac. One never got diagnosed but she is lactose intolerant and knows she can not eat gluten.. serious issues when she does. The other went through lots of testing to confirm the YES she indeed does.

I never suspected I had it until I changed my eating habits after meeting with a trainer at the gym. He suggested I eat really pure clean foods and avoid anything processed. I completely changed how I ate in a desperate attempt to feel better and lose weight. I stopped eating bread and pasta and ate salads and chicken and brown rice. I felt like a NEW person!!!!!

Then we went on vacation to Italy and I was "treating" myself and ate pasta and WOAH..... I got the "someone has drugged me feeling" and realized i RECOGNIZED that familiar feeling. I thought it was because I was overweight and out of shape that I felt like that. But when this happened I realized it was a reaction to something I was eating. This happened on vacation everytime I ate something like a sandwich or things I had stopped eating. I felt I was drugged, got weepy and depressed....ON VACATION in Italy! My husbamd commented how I looked "like I used to" MOON FACE...puffy....HUGE stomach etc. He said he could tell it was a reaction just by looking at me. I came home and went back to my salads and brown rice and protein and FEEL SOOOOOO much better. I may not get a diagnosis because I can't imagine going back to feeling like that for a few weeks to get a test done that may or may not be accurate.

prayin4achange Newbie
Yep, i have those symptoms. My EMA test came back negative, but I am not fussed about needing an "Official" diagnosis. I tell people now that I have celiac disease, because honestly, they take it more seriously than "gluten intolerance" or "wheat allergy". For some reason.

If i get glutened, I get exhausted. It's not the typical "I'm tired because i didn't sleep well", it's the "somebody slipped sleeping pills in my drink" exhaustion. And fuzzy and depressed, and cravings--yep.

If you want to look into official celiac testing, you will have to be eating gluten for a good number of weeks before getting your blood drawn and possibly an intestinal biopsy. Then again, some people come back negative (I did). Some people have symptoms without having serious intestinal damage. So even if you get tested, you may not test positive.

For my money, a positive response to dietary change is a very good sign that gluten is poison to my body. I didn't always have stomach issues, either--those started just last year, and I only get them now after getting accidentally glutened. My guess is I'm more sensitive now after cutting gluten out of my diet.

Wow... that is exactly how I feel!! Except I also have lots of stomach/GI probs. I took the blood test one random day after not eating gluten for a little over a week and of course it came back negative. Then I had an edoscopy w/ colitis but the doc didnt see any reason to take a biospy and specifically check for celiac. She wont have anything to do with checking for celiac. It's kind of annoying if you ask me haha...

Ive heard a lot of other people say (even 2 dear close friends of mine) that they never got the test done but took out gluten and it helped so they tell everyone they have celiac as well. As i see it, u might as well. Same symptoms when you get gluttened. One is more serious to your health but they both cause negative results, so, do whatever you need to to get people to listen to you and be willing to help!

I have so much trouble with "recative hypoglycemia" whether or not that is what I really have and being so exhausted I feel like i got hit by a truck. Yesterday, for example, I did almost nothing all day and barely made the last hr of meeting with the church, and I dont ever miss that haha! Also, I get extremely dizzy, fuzzy, depressed, bloated, and LOTS of cravings for carbs (sweet, salty, and fat ones!) after I have some. This is very interesting.

Does anyone else take magnesium? I take it for constipation, but I wonder if it helps with any other problems? I really am thankful to read everyone else's experiences.

Jenn

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'll keep it brief since I have a tendancy to ramble.

I DEFINATELY have the sleepiness/fuzzy/vertigo/confusion/aches/pain thing going on when I have gluten. The only digestive thing I had was a couple of months of "normal" looking poo (I'm always constipated). I wouldn't have thought anything of it except it coincided with the onset of the worst of the neuro symptoms.

I have stage IIIc total villous atrophy, and high antibodies, but none to almost no GI symptoms. I definatly don't get gi symptoms from a single glutening.

Why oh why is it OK to share info about my poop on the internet?

ang1e0251 Contributor

That is a poopy question.

caligirl2001 Newbie

I also have problems with feeling tired/fuzzy/vertigo/joint aches & pains when I get into gluten, as well as nausea & headaches. I also feel like I am cold all the time.

My blood test was negative, but I still decided to try gluten free and it made a drastic difference within 48 hours. I decided at that point that I did not need a doctors permission to eat gluten free, or a positive test. How I reacted to going gluten free was proof enough for me. I also lost 15 lbs, and my face no longer looks like I'm on steroids.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
kmcoates Newbie

I was in "someone slipped sleeping pills in my drink" mode for months (not fun when you are newly married and trying to finish school!). I was already eating a gluten-free, soy-free diet, which helped with the GI problems, but did nothing for the fatigue/depression/brain fog/joint pains/blurred vision. I went to several MDs, all who said to go back to eating gluten...riiight. Finally, I went to a holistic doctor who thoroughly tested me, and found that it was hypoglycemia and low stomach acid (and he encouraged me to stay gluten-free). I completely eliminated alcohol, sugars, processed foods, and refined carbs, and within a couple of days I was completely back to my old, energetic self. I would recommend eliminating sugars and alcohol just to see if it helps. Eating small meals/snacks often made a big difference, too. Also, the book Adrenal Fatigue was extremely helpful.

Best of luck! And don't let those MDs get you down ;)

labsr4me2 Rookie

Thank you SO much for this post. I have been conflicting over getting tested or not. I have ALL of these same symptoms. I also get the "drugged feeling" almost instantly. It seems as soon as the food hits my stomach. I have read all that I can find on celiac and it did not seem that these were symptoms of it. (or atleast not all of them).

I also went on a Gluten free diet and have felt MUCH better. I am still getting the drugged feeling every once in a while and was wondering if I have gotten cc or if I might possibly have an intolerance to something that I have not thought of yet. I have taken Gluten/Diary/salt out of my diet.

I have many doctors appointments and they all seem to look at me crazy or tell me it is all in "my head." LOL

I do not want to waist a lot of money on endless testing. However I just made an appointment next week with a hollistic doctor because I was thinking my symptoms were not normal and thought I should at least check to see if I was on the right path.

After reading this, I am feeling much better with my diet decision and think maybe a test to determine other intolerances might be best. It sounds like finding out between celiac and intolerance would not make much difference. I would be on the same path either way.

Thank you again. You have ended many tears.....

Archived