4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

I was just wondering what the difference is in using the two. I have only uses sorgham flour just recently in a bundt cake, it was mixed with rice flour, tap, flour and potatoe starch. The cake turned out wonderful. I have never tried it in anything else but would like to. Does anybody use it instead of rice flour or with rice flour or does it depend on what you are making. Thank you for listening for my rambeling.
Chrissy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I use a mixture that sounds pretty much like yours (minus the rice flour). I haven't used rice flour in awhile, (unless it was to dust something) I find it to be pretty crumbly. Sorghum is about as close as wheat flour (texturally, I think) that you can get. I prefer it to rice flour, and have made a lot of things with that mixture that have turned out great.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

What I do is this,
I use sorghum mix in most everything except I don't bake breads much, but the ones I tried call for millet and sorghum, like the english muffins. Many on here use brown rice flour. I used to use the rice flour mix but thought it was a bit grainy or sandy so I switched. I still use rice on occasion for some things like today I made Oreos with it and I like it for mini pot pie crusts.
Sometimes I mix them in a recipe if I am short and don't want to mix up a new batch of gluten-free flour blend. Like yesterday I made choc chip cookies and was short about 1/4 cup so I used rice mix to make up the difference. (2 batches in 2 days, I hadn't baked cookies in weeks :P but some went into the freezer)
Sorghum is more like wheat. And has more protein than rice.
I always use sorghum for cookies and muffins and sweet breads...
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

I use it all the time, mixed with other gluten free flours or nut meals. I do an almond meal, potato starch, sorghum, amaranth and millet mix to make a bread that is like a whole wheat multi grain bread.
A lighter mixture that you just did, if it worked for a cake it should work for other types of sweet baking, as well.
I've also used it in pie crust but I'm still working on the texture problem, I have the taste part down but it's rather.... chewy. :huh:

#5 SUZIN

SUZIN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

If you want to find recipes that use sorghum flour just check out..... twinvalleymills.com .....there is quite a few on that site....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: