40 replies to this topic

#31 discouragedmomof5

discouragedmomof5

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:43 PM

What is the best way to learn about gluten-free foods and hidden sources of Gluten. My diet is so limited right now. I have also develpoed a lactose intolerance, small amounts aren't so bad, like I can tolerate half and half but never milk or icecream, heavy cream puts me in bed with stomach pain.
I have read the places here on this site that are posted, I was just wondering if there is even a more comprehensive list than that?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 debberdee

debberdee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:09 AM

Gluten-freeinfoweb seems to be a good sight. I have it bookmarked. I also bought the Clan-Thompson Smart List. I have so much info now, that sometimes my brain hurts!!!! :blink: J/K I also have milk, egg and yeast allergies so I have done many searches on the web to find out as much as I can about food allergies and labeling on food products. The Net has a wealth of info. You just have to make the time to do the searches! Find the things that are specific for your life and go with them. I am finding that all this gluten-free stuff and allergy stuff is easier than I thought it would be, just time consuming(at least until I get the hang of it all!!!!)

#33 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for that additional list! It's a great help. I am however, mourning the loss of my beloved Reese's peanut butter cups as i can't seem to get any confirmation. :P

#34 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

Reeses are fine. They are made by Hershey which lists gluten ingredients clearly on the labels. If you don't see wheat, rye, barley or oats then it is safe. Enjoy

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#35 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

Well, I was gluten-free for two months before eating gluten for the biopsy in April (which came back negative anyway). After 2 months gluten-free the symptoms that went away or got better were:
Anxiety (I cut my anxiety meds in half)
sleep
night sweats
acne
ear infections
nail growth
weight gain (I've gained 10 pounds! I was a skeleton!)
better bowel movements
less nausea
intolerance to cold
goosebumps
fatigue

I'm sure there's others too. The fristrating thing now though is that after eating gluten for 10 days pre-biopsy (the biopsy was April 15) I feel like it's taking me forever to get back to where I was. It's been a month since I started eating gluten-free again but I just realized a week ago that one of my medications had gluten in it so technically I've only been gluten-free for a week now. I'm back to being lactose intolerant (milk chocolate gives me diarrhea for days!) and just feel like instead of being back to square one I'm back to -1. It's so frustrating. i wish I had NEVER eaten gluten for the biopsy. I'm looking forward to how good I felt at 2 months gluten-free again. Beverly B)

#36 marycubs

marycubs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

Hi Berneses-
I think you are the first one that I see suffered from night sweats... I also was having that experience as well as other symptoms - I wondered if that was just me or celiac.

Mary

#37 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

Mary,

I had night sweats too when I was doing the gluten-challenge. They seem to have gone away... of course, today is only my 3rd day gluten-free... ;)

Anyway, I don't think you are alone! :)

- Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#38 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

I had night sweats by the bucket full before going gluten-free. It took me longer than 3 days for mine to go away so it looks like you're on the right track Bean.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#39 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

My night sweats were outrageous- we're talking get up in the middle of the night, wake the hubby and change the sheets. Hideous! They are really minimal now. I barely even notice. The worst was they would wake me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. Ugh!

#40 GF-Jen

GF-Jen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

Like many of us, I went undiagnosed for 6 months. My first Dr thought I had a brain tumor (because of dizziness, headaches, chronic fatigue, nausea) and I had a CT scan (negative). Next the Dr thought I had early signs of MS (because of tingling in my extremities, plus all other symptoms) and I had an MRI (negative). Then they thought it was a thyroid condition (negative blood test), next Addison's Disease because I had low blood pressure (negative), inner-ear disorder (dizziness, vertigo, brain fog), etc etc etc. I was referred to an internal medicine Dr who tested me for everything (except Celiac), including most communicable diseases, and all tests came back negative. Now I know what I don't have! My main symptoms were chronic fatigue (I went from running 5 miles/day to not being able to walk around the block or go to the store), brain fog, dizziness/lightheadedness (feeling like I was going to pass out numerous times a day), nausea, diarrhea, muscular aches, headaches, weight loss, anxiety, depression, tingling in fingers and toes, cold, shortness of breath, generally feeling uncomfortable all the time. Now I've been gluten-free for about 15 months and every symptom has disappeared. The stricter I am gluten-free, the better I feel. Sometimes, however, gluten sneaks by and I'll have diarrhea and get fatigued and not feel well, but in general, I feel like my old self again.
gluten-free-Jen
Arcata, CA
gluten-free since February 14, 2004

#41 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

gluten-free Jen- My God- that sounds exactly like my story to a T. I was tested for everything under the sun from HIV to lymphoma to TB (CT scan etc.) Based on my symptoms, my primary care doctor nailed it on the head when she said it's either Celiac's or a thyroid problem. I knew about Celiac's and went home that day and when I read the symptom list I thyought "My God, this is my medical history." i went gluten-free immediately. My bloodwork for Celiac's came back a weak positive so I was referred to a GI who told me Celiac's was really rare and did all those tests on me.

By the time I got to a GI who "sort of" had a clue, I had been gluten-free for two months and everything else had come back negative and I was feeling great. Ate gluten for 10 days for the biopsy (which came back negative anyway as i knew it would) but after eating gluten for those ten days I knew my first instinct wasright. No more tests for me! I'm sorry you went through this too. Beverly :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: