Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Had A 0 On The Ttg Blood Test?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 no-more-muffins

no-more-muffins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I am seriously confused by some of my results. The more I have been researching things the more I think my blood tests may not be valid. I have heard that having a 0 on the tTG test seems suspicious, and that everyone pretty much has at least some tTG present if they sufficiently make IgA.

My total IgA was 115, (normal range 68-378)
My tTG was 0 (range 0-19 being normal)

I got tests from enterolab for gluten sensitivity that came back as a 6 (anything over a 10 is positive.)

My symptoms:
weight loss, short stature, failure to grow as a child, late puberty, anxiety, depression, eczema, constant nausea, frequent loose BM, hand tremors, joint pain, headaches, insomnia, fatigue, menstrual irregularities, periodontal disease, endometriosis (14 years ago).

I have seen improvement with a gluten-free diet.

My 21 month old dd was positively diagnosed at enterolab as having gluten sensitivity (18 units on the test).

Anyone have any insight on this? I can't figure out why my gluten tests at enterolab could be negative.
No-More-Muffins
Blood and biopsy negative 6/2009, Diagnosed with IBS, "mildy active colitis" (My Dr. didn't tell me this, I saw it on the patho report)
Enterolab results negative for gluten, soy, casein, yeast and egg (maybe I have low IgA)
Gluten free diet starting post-endoscopoy 6/2009
I have found that I not only react to gluten but to soy as well. I'm still working on the dairy elimination and trial.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Switch2GF

Switch2GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

Blood tests are not the "official" way to diagnose, they are just an easy first step.

My dad's blood work also came up with a 0. They determined that some people's body just don't produce the antibody that they are looking for.

An endoscopy is the true way of diagnosing. If you and your doc want to be 100% sure, then this is the next step. Best of luck!
Mike H.
Kansas City

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

An endoscopy is the true way of diagnosing. If you and your doc want to be 100% sure, then this is the next step.

This is not necessarily true either. A good share of doctors miss a diagnosis with the endoscopy. either they do not know what they are looking at, or they do not get enough samples, so many varitables.

Recently, Dr. Peter Green stated a positive blood test is proof. This is something new from him. I think soon, we will hear many new thoughts on gluten intolerance/celiac disease.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: