This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Questions About Green Bean Casserole, Canned Yams And gluten-free Brownies :)

Jeanniebug

Jeanniebug Apprentice

Hi all!

Last night I attempted a green bean casserole dish. I used 1 can of Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup and it thickened right up when I added 2 tbsp cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water, which I then slowly stirred into the boiling soup. It was super-thick when I added it to my casserole. But after it was cooked, it was water-thin. It did not thicken back up after sitting on the counter awhile. : <_< Anyone have any suggestions as to where I went wrong? I sooooo want to make a great gluten-free green bean casserole over the holidays.

Also...I like to use canned yams in my candied yam recipe, it's just faster. Are most canned yams gluten-free? The Publix and Kroger gluten-free shopping lists do not list canned yams at all. :(

Oh and one more, I'm going to attempt gluten-free carob brownies soon because I'm allergic to chocolate. I love this recipe but can no longer use regular flour of course. I was going to try using the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Flour and add some Xanthan Gum. Anyone think this would work?

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I've been experimenting with gluten-free cooking ALOT and getting things to stick together/thicken up has been challenging! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

I use Bruce's Yams. They are gluten free. Empty canned juice, add butter, brown sugar, and if you'd like a little glutten free vanilla. Bake for about 30 - 45 minutes. YUM!

Padrigue Newbie

For quite a while my family searched for a good cream soup base that we could use in casseroles. My wives favorite dish is green bean casserole. After trying to find something canned in the store that was gluten free we decided to try to make our own. We find it to be quite desirable to the taste and fairly easy to make. I hope that this works as well for you as it has for us. Open Original Shared Link

purple Community Regular

Here is the yummy brownie recipe I use to compare yours with:

Open Original Shared Link

momxyz Contributor
For quite a while my family searched for a good cream soup base that we could use in casseroles. My wives favorite dish is green bean casserole. After trying to find something canned in the store that was gluten free we decided to try to make our own. We find it to be quite desirable to the taste and fairly easy to make. I hope that this works as well for you as it has for us. Open Original Shared Link

looks like a great website! thanks

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Hi all!

Last night I attempted a green bean casserole dish. I used 1 can of Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup and it thickened right up when I added 2 tbsp cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water, which I then slowly stirred into the boiling soup. It was super-thick when I added it to my casserole. But after it was cooked, it was water-thin. It did not thicken back up after sitting on the counter awhile. : <_< Anyone have any suggestions as to where I went wrong? I sooooo want to make a great gluten-free green bean casserole over the holidays.

Also...I like to use canned yams in my candied yam recipe, it's just faster. Are most canned yams gluten-free? The Publix and Kroger gluten-free shopping lists do not list canned yams at all. :(

Oh and one more, I'm going to attempt gluten-free carob brownies soon because I'm allergic to chocolate. I love this recipe but can no longer use regular flour of course. I was going to try using the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Flour and add some Xanthan Gum. Anyone think this would work?

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I've been experimenting with gluten-free cooking ALOT and getting things to stick together/thicken up has been challenging! :P

As to the brownies, Bob's all purpose flour mix has bean flour, not something I recommend for the first few tries of a recipe, especially from Bob's. They stone grind their flours, which can turn bean flours rancid real quick. I'd say try Pamela's or gluten-free Pantry AP mixes first.

Jeanniebug Apprentice

I used Beth's AP gluten-free Flour (gluten-free Pantry) for the carob brownies and they came out great! I bought another box and made the biscuit recipe on the back to go with my pot roast last night. I added shredded cheese and garlic salt and after they were cooked, brushed melted butter and garlic salt on top. Very nice!! Everything was just a wee more grainy than usual flour, but the brownies were still very good! I may add a little Xanthan Gum next time to see if that helps them not fall apart quite as easy. ;)

I still need to play with the soups for casseroles...thank you everyone for your ideas!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

halfrunner Apprentice

As for the green bean casserole, my first thought is to ask whether you used green beans that were frozen when you added them to the soup? I usually thaw my green beans first, and try to remove excess water (gentle toweling) before adding them to the soup.

Jeanniebug Apprentice

I used canned green beans which I drained thoroughly before adding the casserole. I could not figure out where all that water came from. :(

• 1 month later...
liberty Newbie

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out if yams in corn syrup were gluten free all morning!! And with mini marshmallows (Great Value at Walmart) clearly states gluten free...Whoo Hoo! Oh, and the new Betty Crocker mixes are AWESOME! Brownies, Chocolate and yellow cake, and chocolate chip cookies, my hubby loves all of them ;p

Archived