6 replies to this topic

#1 gail-gluten-corn

gail-gluten-corn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I just got a new Bette Hagman cookbook and her biscuit mix and cream soup base call for powdered buttermilk and powdered/dry milk. I need products that are lactose free but I can't have corn and/or soy based products. Anyone know of products I can use? Thank you for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

I just got a new Bette Hagman cookbook and her biscuit mix and cream soup base call for powdered buttermilk and powdered/dry milk. I need products that are lactose free but I can't have corn and/or soy based products. Anyone know of products I can use? Thank you for any help.

This thread might have some ideas:

http://www.celiac.co...9&mode=threaded
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#3 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

Have you tried Better than Milk Rice.

Better than milk (rice) Click Here

Product Features

Powdered rice milk mix, original flavor; mix to your preferred thickness and taste

100% natural, vegan, dairy-free, lactose-free, gluten-free, kosher, non-GMO

Each canister makes up to 8 quarts of rice milk

Made in the USA

Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

There are some great coconut products which can be used in place of dairy. Powdered coconut or coconut cream both come to mind. Highest quality I'm aware of is at www.coconutoil-online.com. There are others of course. Though I haven't tried it, I think coconut flour should work fairly well. It absorbs a lot of water, and is wonderful for baking.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

I have a container of Better Than Milk Rice (Vanilla) mix that I use on occasion. It lists Maltodextrine (from corn) as an ingredient,also food starch-modified (from corn) so this product would not be something that you could use. It does not mix well at all....I mix it up a day before I need to use it because it tastes better very cold. I use a blender, and also mix it up again just before using it. It has a slight coconut taste to it.I do not know how this would work out when used as a powder....it has small pieces of rice in it.Perhaps the original mix does not contain corn.

I prefer Vance's Dairy Free (www.dairfree.info ) which I order on-line because no one seems to carry it, even health food stores. It contains maltodextrin (from potatoes), and is gluten,casein,fat,soy,rice,msg,protein,cholesterol free.It mixes up very nicely, if you are using it as a liquid. A container lasts a long time,and I order 6 containers of it because of the shipping cost. The delivery was very fast. I've only used it as a powder in a recipe that specifically called for powdered milk, and it worked well.I have the original flavor, which does not contain corn.The advertising does not say it is lactose free,but I'm severely lactose/casein intolerant, and this product definitely is lactose/casein free.

They are now advertising free shipping on smaller travel packets of their products....great for a first time user to try.

#6 Matthew2

Matthew2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

In response to my inquiries to the US distributor for valio, a company in Finland that sells lactose-free powdered milk, I just got this email:

At the moment Valio sells Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP lactose free skimmed milk powder and Valio Zero LactoseTM WMP lactose free whole milk powder only to industrial clients globally. In case of consumer packages Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP lactose free skimmed milk powder is available for worldwide mail orders in a convenient 400g retail package in an independent webstore Suomikauppa.fi (www.suomikauppa.fi/en). This webstore is not part of Valio Ltd, but we are glad to direct you to go shopping there.

You can find the product through direct link: http://www.suomikaup...roducts_id=3974

Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP is lactose free dried milk produced using Valio’s pioneering patented Valio Zero Lactose™ technology. It is produced from fresh Finnish skimmed milk by adding vitamin D and removing water. Lactose content is reduced using our pioneering technology which results in genuine pleasant milk taste, yet with only <0,01% lactose content in prepared milk drink. Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP lactose free skimmed milk powder contains natural milk protein and calcium and is produced from non-homogenized, pasteurized milk.

Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP lactose free skimmed milk can be used as regular dried milk for preparation of lactose free milk drinks as well as for lactose free home baking and cooking. The shelf life of the product is 12 months in unopened packaging. This allows convenience to keep the product available as well for occasional use. Valio Zero LactoseTM SMP lactose free dried milk is also suitable for away from home and catering use.

Addition of 80g of Valio Zero Lactose™ skimmed milk powder to 1 liter of water results in a liter of great tasting lactose free (<0,01% lactose) skimmed milk drink. In home baking and cooking dosing is 25% less than with regular milk powder.

I have not tried it yet, so cannot vouch for the taste, or anything else, but it appears to be a valid lactose free powdered milk option in the USA!

I hope that others find this useful!

Matthew

#7 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I've seen powdered coconut milk somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: