#1 kaylee

kaylee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:58 AM

Hi all,

after a period of refusing to get tested because she "knew" she didn't have celiac disease, my mother has just been diagnosed. Her doctor has made the suggestion to her that since she has no symptoms (only osteoporosis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, chronic allergies and sinusitis, balance problems and chronic fatigue), she doesn't have to go gluten free. She agrees. Obviously in the long term it will be her decision, but I would like to give her something to read on the subject, since my telling her what I have learned about this issue clearly isn't persuasive enough.

So, could anyone point me in the direction of a medical journal article that covers the subject of what people with no classic celiac symptoms should do regarding the gluten free diet? Any input will be most appreciated. Thanks,

Kaylee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Uh! What a stupid doctor ! I'm sure you're frustrated right now! Does your mother know about some of the other long-term effects, regardless of "symptoms"? Such as diabetes, cancer, lymphoma, serious nerve damage...
Perhaps these articles would be a good for her to read. They do each affirm that fact that some Celiacs will notice no symptoms, and those noticed are widely varied...and that the consequences if you ignore the disease, are serious. And they show that whether you have symptoms or not, your actions to go gluten-free should be the same. Good luck !!

http://www.chclibrar...d/00041880.html
http://www.csaceliac...ac_symptoms.php
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

What an ignorant doctor...sounds like rest of the doctors that we've had experiences with. He doesn't know anything obviously about celiac and the problem is alot of these people take what the doctor says like gospel. She needs a new doctor...I can't believe that diagnosed but o you have no symptoms so don't follow the diet...wow now how smart is that <_<
There is a current thread on here with percentages of risks if not adhering to the diet, if you can't fid it email me and I'll send you the link.
Does she know that she has now things that are connected with untreated celiac?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 kaylee

kaylee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:46 AM

Hi and thanks for your replies-

I'm going to send my mother the links you provided. Also thanks Kaiti for the heads-up about the other thread. Lots of people are obviously dealing with symptom issues not to mention doctor issues. The two are clearly linked. Having a doctor who is uninformed can make it very hard for the patient to feel committed to the only available treatment when symptoms are (ambiguous (a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing ...). More info may do the trick in my mom's case, but I think there's also some kind of strong urge on her part to discount the whole thing that's running pretty deep, for a reason I just can't quite grasp. Anyway, as many have already said, it's a personal journey and a personal choice.

Thanks,
Kaylee

#5 Eliza13

Eliza13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:10 AM

No symptoms??? I quote: "she has no symptoms (only osteoporosis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, chronic allergies and sinusitis, balance problems and chronic fatigue)". Sounds like symptoms to me!!!
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: