3 replies to this topic

#1 dperk

dperk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:49 AM

I need some advise from everyone. I've had the flu over the last 5 days and lost another 8 lbs - and I was already very thin. I'm feeling better now, and I'm able to eat again. I made the mistake of taking Kaopectate (didn't check to see if it was gluten-free first) which contributed to the problem. My family is very worried about me and are on me to do something - they don't unerstand about Celiac and don't understand the diet. They just think I'm not eating right. I have a malabsortion issue and a lot of stomach damage. Since I am so new at the gluten-free diet (3 months) the damage has not had a chance to heal . I sure didn't need the flu to add to the mix. Anyone know of a fast weight gainer that doesn't have soy or dairy? I also have a problem with starches and sugar - so I can't just pig out on potatoes and butter. Please - does anyone have a suggestion????
Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Think red meat.

richard

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:24 AM

eat anything and everything that you can keep down alright.
peanut butter
avocados
chicken rice soup (add some olive oil) (it really is easy to make from scratch - even if you're sick, though maybe not in the heat of the worst part of the flu!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 louie

louie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

in australia we have Sustagen which is gluten free but i'm not sure if it has soy or dairy in it, and not sure if it's available in America under the same name.

You can get it in Hospital Strength which has more calories and is best for weight gain
I used to use this in the early days when I was struggling to keep my weight up, both as a meal replacement if I was too sick to eat and also as a supplement between meals.

sip on lemonade throughout the day too, it has lots of energy and is easy to digest

hope your'e feeling better soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: