11 replies to this topic

#1 goldenmom

goldenmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

I have a question.... My Father-In Law has Celiac Disease. He was travelling and found out about a technique using his wedding ring and a piece of string. He can hold the food item and the swinging ring over the food and it tells him if he can eat it or not. If it swings clockwise for positive, counter-clockwise for negative, and stands still for neutral. He swears by this and has been using it for 5 years with 100% results. He always has a piece of thread in his top pocket if they are travelling and can use it at buffets etc. He gets very strange looks, however, if this is what will save him from eating something bad, then so be it.

Does anyone know this technique and what the name of it is? I have tried to research everywhere as to what this is called and why it works. All 20 family members have tried this test, and I am the only one that gets results also from using my ring. Maybe the ring knows something of my health that I am not aware of? It swings clockwise for positive, counter-clockwise for negative, and stands still for neutral.

Any comments?

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Hi Heather,
I don't have any information on this technique with celiac disease. However, my aunt used the same technique with my hand when I was expecting. She said the ring would tell if I was having a girl or a boy. She swore by the ring and string and said she'd never been wrong. She predicted I'd have a girl and I did.......who knows ? :D

Take Care,
Kasey's Mom

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

Pardon my skepticism, but it's bogus. (Though give me some accurate filming and I can tell you which way it'll spin because of the forces he's applying to the string... :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

Have to agree with Tiffany on this one!! I worked in a health food store and people used to do a similar thing with vitamins - holding the bottle against their chest then closing their eyes and if their body *mysteriously* started to lean forward - the vitamin was supposed to be something their body needed. :rolleyes:

Give me a break! I *don't* believe in this kind of thing. Maybe your father-in-law has some crazy luck on his side - but I sure wouldn't trust my health with this technique!!

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

I personally wouldn't trust a technique like that. It may be a fluke that this technique works for some people, but I think sometimes with these types of things we see what we want to see... Does your father-in-law get bad symptoms when he eats gluten?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:17 AM

I've only heard of it used to tell the gender of an unborn baby. A friend tried it on me when I was pregnant the first time, told me it would be a boy, but I had a girl. I wouldn't trust such superstition.

Michelle, I use the test you are describing, but not with a closed bottle of pills. I use the herbs in an open container, I have to be able to smell it. I'm not sure it works or not, but it is something I do.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:30 AM

"Does anyone know this technique and what the name of it is? "

I'd call it superstition.

richard

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

Yea, I've only heard of it to predict a baby's sex. I'm thinkin'... if I did it over a Pizza Hut 3-cheese stuffed crust pizza... it would tell ME it was okay to eat!!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

It sounds similar to muscle testing. My chiropractor for the past few months has done muscle testing on me to determine where he needs to work on my alignment (I injured my shoulder last January) and it was very effective. He told me that if I wanted, he could test me for foods as well by my putting a certain food in my mouth, then testing my muscle. This is the way he explained that it works:

He finds a strong muscle, like my left arm, and tells me to not let him move it. Then he touches an area that is ok, like my low back, and my arm still won't move. But if he gets to a vertebrae that is out of alignment, the mere stimulation of touching it sends the message through the nerves to the brain which momentarily interrupts the message to the strong arm, and I can't hold it in place. That is how he determines a weak spot on my back. Then he adjusts the joint/vertebrae, tests again, and if my arm remains strong, then he moves on.

Same thing with the food. Aparantly, if it's a food your body has problems with, it will interrupt the message to the strong muscle and you will weaken at that point. I think it's an interesting theory but I don't know if I believe it would accurately work. How I think this idea could apply to your father and the ring is that his body "knows" a food is not good for him and as a result his hand moves in a way to make the ring go a certain direction.

I know it seemed to work very well on my back and shoulder but don't know about food. My chiropractor invited me to bring in some food, and I considered bringing in eggs and corn but just never got around to it.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#10 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

This is something we do at baby showers to find out sex of baby. I've never seen it done. Although I have seen a man so something similar with a tree branch when they were digging my father's water well. He said that where the branch pointed to was where they could dig for water. I thought this was weird but that spot that they pointed to was where the well was dug and we had water.

#11 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Superstition

#12 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

Superstition

Agreed
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: