This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girl Scout Meetings And Snack Management

sedona7

sedona7 Newbie

I am a GS Leader with Celiac and my scout daughter has it too. We are the only new ones in an ongoing troop with this and need to manage snack. What are the best snacks to request from other parents to meet our need? Do we always need to pack our own? Every week?

I am thinking of common foods parents can supply, such as cheese sticks and nuts, or always have a box or bag on hand. Suggestions?

Keep the camping food suggestions coming too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmyT Newbie

For our girl scout troop, we send out a agenda/newsletter and appoint someone to bring snack and let them know what they can bring, due to food allergies, usually fruit, Tostito corn chips,salami, cheese, veggies. We have 2 in our troop who are gluten free, and 2 that are dairy free, the parents are understanding. It is interesting that when there is more than 1 child or person with an allergies or food sensitivity, people perk up and start to get interested, but if it is just my daughter or myself, people sometimes don't get it. We usually don't make a big deal about snack at our meeting, it is sort of off to the side and the girls eat it or they don't. We have 4th & 5th graders so they know what they can eat, or like so they are pretty much in control of their intake.

Good luck!

Mizzo Enthusiast

For our girl scout troop, we send out a agenda/newsletter and appoint someone to bring snack and let them know what they can bring, due to food allergies, usually fruit, Tostito corn chips,salami, cheese, veggies. We have 2 in our troop who are gluten free, and 2 that are dairy free, the parents are understanding. It is interesting that when there is more than 1 child or person with an allergies or food sensitivity, people perk up and start to get interested, but if it is just my daughter or myself, people sometimes don't get it. We usually don't make a big deal about snack at our meeting, it is sort of off to the side and the girls eat it or they don't. We have 4th & 5th graders so they know what they can eat, or like so they are pretty much in control of their intake.

Good luck!

We have a gluten-free and a peanut and a Lactose allergy in our troop. I agree there is more understanding when there are multiples to deal with. Due to our many allergens there is nothing besides fruit and veggies our girls can all share together without it being homemade so I (gluten-free mom) always pack my girl her own that way the others can share 1 thing. Which yes, does make my girl stand out again. If anyone has any ideas for an all 3 allergen situation I will gladly listen. The troop leader has the peanut allergy and her close friends daughter is the lactose so she understands the need for being careful but doesn't know what's ok or not for gluten-free, yet. Any suggestions are welcome here also.

In our troop the leaders provide the snacks because of the allergy situation. My girl was not diagnosed till halfway thru the year so it was easier for me to provide then to change the snack list.

Good luck,

Maureen

mommida Enthusiast

Always have an alternate, safe snack on hand. :)

Ask that all snacks come with the original packaging or be in the original container (kept safe from cross contamination). You won't have to guess about the safety of the ingredients or handling. i.e. Ask that cheese and cracker platters be kept seperate. Fruit and cheese plates, etc.

Archived