4 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I am not diabetic but my older sister is so I recognize the symptoms of low blood sugar. I've had some episodes in the past (shaking, sweating, etc.) that passed pretty quickly, not sure what those were about but I've had testing done during all 3 of my pregnancies, never developed gestational diabetes, etc.

What I'm noticing, 4 mos. into my diagnosis is I seem to get low blood sugar after lunch or in the afternoon.....? Today I had gluten-free chicken nuggets, potato salad and iced tea and within an hour, I felt empty. Within another hour, I had to grab a bag of peanut M & M's to get my brain working again...... I'm pretty knowledgeable about food, making sure I get enough protein to keep my blood sugars even, some fat to keep me feeling full. Am I missing the fiber I used to eat? Anyone else get this too? I don't notice it after breakfast or dinner.....

Today was a pretty active day, riding lessons in the morning, ice skating in the afternoon but generally when I'm doing activities like this and eat, plus snacks, I'm fine.......
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 vbecton

vbecton

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Hello! I have just recently (last 2 months) gotten rid of my low blood sugar problems that plagued me for years because I radically changed my diet when I went gluten-free. I was on the cusp of developing diabetes.

The coating on gluten-free nuggets, the potatoes, the iced tea (if caffeinated - caffeine is a low blood sugar trigger) and the sugar in M&M are all nightmares for people having low BS (blood sugar). There is a condition called Reactive Hypoglycemia where anything that breaks down too quickly (simple sugar), or breaks down into sugar (carbs) will wreak havoc on your blood sugar causing it to plummet about an hour after you eat. Your body basically over responds and sends out too much insulin. This is what I have.

The quick sugar fixes like orange juice and M&M's will only make the cycle repeat. Try eating yogurt (if you can) during an episode because it has protein and carbs to repair your low sugar. Try eating large portions of protein, light carbs (fruits usually) to see how you respond. I do the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (gluten free) and it controls my blood sugar beautifully. Also, you are very active, so probably need to eat more often always having protein with every meal and snack. Hope I was helpful. I know how dreadful low blood sugar can be!
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease, July 2010, after 20 years of chronic low blood sugar and GI issues. I blame undiagnosed Celiac Disease for not becoming a professional marathon runner and being such a pathetic athlete in college. I was robbed :)

Gluten Free 04/2010
Dairy Free 06/2010
Soy Free 05/2010
Legume Free 05/2010
Caffeine Free 05/2007

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

A grilled chicken breast might have given you better milage from that meal. I don't know what size portion of potato salad you had but if it was a large one, maybe reducing it and making up for the reduction with a bit of veg. would have been a good choice too. The cut of meat slows the digestion, giving you a more steady, long-term release of energy. Some nuts are also a good choice to bring up BG without causing another spike and crash. In my experience, it really doesn't take as much or as long as we tend to think in order to correct a lowish blood sugar. Even medical professionals tend to way over compensate.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Mari

Mari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

I also have a Type 1 diabetic sib and have 'low sugar' spells even gluten-free. I also recommend the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It is a good idea add fiber to your food, I use gluten-free oat bran from Montana Monster Munchies online. I add it to all my meals. I have found eating grapefruit after meals to help the 'feeling still hungry' problem.
DQ6/DQ8
HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302
Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

#5 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Okay, I've upped my protein intake at lunch and am doing much better. Carbs don't seem to bother me in the morning or evening, just in the middle of the day. Still trying to sort out which fruits and vegetables are doing a number on me...... I think, like my daughter I might have a mild IBS thing going on...... bummer with all the wonderful fresh fruits and veggies right now!

Thanks for all your ideas!
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: