This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Legitamently Doubting My Dr ? Itching After 5 Days On Amoxicillin.

purpleflowers

purpleflowers Rookie

ughhhh!!!! seems I a going crazy with frustration!

I have been on amoxicillin ( large amounts( for 5 days now) for possible LYME ( he is trying to give me a trial of antibiotics to see how and if I respond

However I sent him a message last night letting him know I get this weird itchy feeling on my body ( anywhere and everywhere on my skin) randomly.I told him it kinda feels like something is there (crawly) and I asked him if this is normal? I am a little scared of it being a mild reaction and that it will turn intoa big one.

I havent taken antibiotics in several years and I let him know this did NOT start til I started this antibiotic.

He had his nurse call me back and leave me a message on the VM to take BENADRYL with it and if it gets worse (seek medical attention at the ER)

He is 2 hrs away from me.

I feel a lot right now.Is he cold about this? I feel that way.

I feel its kinda like hes saying : " maybe it is a reaction who knows just take Benadryl to counteract it....and well if it gets worse hopefully they will help you in the ER)

Benadryl too? He an MD AND ND why BENADRYL?

Also I am taking 5htp for sleep and Depression.I read you shouldnt take that with antiobiotics???? Im not sure if I am legitamatly doubting him or not

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

ughhhh!!!! seems I a going crazy with frustration!

I have been on amoxicillin ( large amounts( for 5 days now) for possible LYME ( he is trying to give me a trial of antibiotics to see how and if I respond

However I sent him a message last night letting him know I get this weird itchy feeling on my body ( anywhere and everywhere on my skin) randomly.I told him it kinda feels like something is there (crawly) and I asked him if this is normal? I am a little scared of it being a mild reaction and that it will turn intoa big one.

I havent taken antibiotics in several years and I let him know this did NOT start til I started this antibiotic.

He had his nurse call me back and leave me a message on the VM to take BENADRYL with it and if it gets worse (seek medical attention at the ER)

He is 2 hrs away from me.

I feel a lot right now.Is he cold about this? I feel that way.

I feel its kinda like hes saying : " maybe it is a reaction who knows just take Benadryl to counteract it....and well if it gets worse hopefully they will help you in the ER)

Benadryl too? He an MD AND ND why BENADRYL?

Also I am taking 5htp for sleep and Depression.I read you shouldnt take that with antiobiotics???? Im not sure if I am legitamatly doubting him or not

I, too, found at about.com, the following:

'Do not use 5-HTP is you are currently taking any of the following medications:

Anti-depressant drugs; Monoamine oxidase inhibitors; Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors; Tricyclic medications; Weight Loss medications; Anti-parkinson medications; Barbiturates and other tranquilizing drugs; Antihistamines and cold medications; Alcoholic beverages; Intravenous drugs; Cancer chemotherapy or antibiotic medications. '

Perhaps it would be well for you to remind him that you are on this medication. Did your usual pharmacist fill the scrip because they will usually check for cross-reactions to other meds you are taking. I also note that it says don't take 5-HTP if you are taking antihistamines - Benadryl!?? Is there any way you can get by without taking the 5-HTP for a while?

Emilushka Contributor

He's worried that you might be sensitive to the amoxicillin. Not necessarily an allergic reaction so he wants to treat the symptoms (the benadryl is for the symptoms of itching). If it gets worse it could be a drug allergy and you would need to go to the ER to make sure you're safe (drug allergies can be quite serious) but some people just get annoying rashes.

Your 5-HTP does not react with amoxicillin in any known way. Each antibiotic is different, but there's no cross-reaction between those two. Don't worry about that.

Do you have any kind of rash or difficulty breathing?

ETA: I checked Epocrates, a drug/pharmaceutical information program used by doctors.

purpleflowers Rookie

He's worried that you might be sensitive to the amoxicillin. Not necessarily an allergic reaction so he wants to treat the symptoms (the benadryl is for the symptoms of itching). If it gets worse it could be a drug allergy and you would need to go to the ER to make sure you're safe (drug allergies can be quite serious) but some people just get annoying rashes.

Your 5-HTP does not react with amoxicillin in any known way. Each antibiotic is different, but there's no cross-reaction between those two. Don't worry about that.

Do you have any kind of rash or difficulty breathing?

Emilushka

thanks for the responses.

Emilushka: I dont have any rashes or difficulty breathing.I know thats serious.I was just worried he is neglecting an allergic reaction.

I woulnt doubt Im sensitive to the antibiotic.I seem sensitive to alot. The previous poster said they seen something too about 5htp shouldnt be used with antibiotics and definately not Benadryl.

I will go to the site you posted

I know he is the on call Dr tonight and I might just find a reason to speak to call that god forsaken "emergency only" line just so I can talk to him personally.Other than that he dont talk to patients Dr until the next visit.The nurses relay his messages

purpleflowers Rookie

thanks for the responses.

Emilushka: I dont have any rashes or difficulty breathing.I know thats serious.I was just worried he is neglecting an allergic reaction.

I woulnt doubt Im sensitive to the antibiotic.I seem sensitive to alot. The previous poster said they seen something too about 5htp shouldnt be used with antibiotics and definately not Benadryl.

I will go to the site you posted

I know he is the on call Dr tonight and I might just find a reason to speak to call that god forsaken "emergency only" line just so I can talk to him personally.Other than that he dont talk to patients Dr until the next visit.The nurses relay his messages

oops i got some typos

cassP Contributor

POSSIBLE Lyme Disease??? will they test and get results soon? cause if you dont have it- then you dont need medicine right?

i have a client who had a tick bite- and i dont think he got Lyme Disease- but his doc put him on HEAVY antibiotics just in case... the antibiotics triggered his Psoriatic Arthritis. but i think he was on something heavier than amoxicyllin ??? idk... ive had amoxicyllin in the past and was ok... but in the past 10-15 years- i dont do well on MOST antibiotics.... Always get a cold virus AND a yeast infection- pretty much 99% of the time. i hate antibiotics.

im not surprised at all that they're making you incredibly itchy. i hope you find relief and answers soon

Emilushka Contributor

I think it makes sense to call him if you're getting full-body itching. Make sure he knows everything you're taking - even over-the-counter supplements. Better to irritate the doc but be sure you're being safe than to have something bad happen to you. I'm a med student who will someday be on the OTHER end of those phone calls, and I still say it's better to be safe than sorry. Don't risk a bad reaction. Your life is worth more than your doctor's irritation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purpleflowers Rookie

I think it makes sense to call him if you're getting full-body itching. Make sure he knows everything you're taking - even over-the-counter supplements. Better to irritate the doc but be sure you're being safe than to have something bad happen to you. I'm a med student who will someday be on the OTHER end of those phone calls, and I still say it's better to be safe than sorry. Don't risk a bad reaction. Your life is worth more than your doctor's irritation.

right....it does make sense i guess.

I should stop worrying if he's irritated or not.Im nervous and dont want to take anymore medicine...but I need a diagnosis,its been too many years unwell.

as far as the test, sometime it is not always clear (and there have been people that have had lyme and the test gave negatives) so he is trying me on a trial of antibiotics for it

shadowedsensei Newbie

Hey CassP,

I have a suggestion that might help you with your issue with antibiotics. Several of the doctors that I work with suggest that when you start an antibiotic to eat 1 cup of yogurt a day during the course of the antibiotic and then continue to eat it for five to seven days afterward. This keeps the antibiotic from stripping the "good bacteria" from your system as well as the bad. I've done this with several of my residents that have long term antibiotics for various different reasons. So far we haven't had a single yeast infection in the past three years (before these poor girls were getting six or seven a year). You might try that if you can tolerate yogurt.

cassP Contributor

Hey CassP,

I have a suggestion that might help you with your issue with antibiotics. Several of the doctors that I work with suggest that when you start an antibiotic to eat 1 cup of yogurt a day during the course of the antibiotic and then continue to eat it for five to seven days afterward. This keeps the antibiotic from stripping the "good bacteria" from your system as well as the bad. I've done this with several of my residents that have long term antibiotics for various different reasons. So far we haven't had a single yeast infection in the past three years (before these poor girls were getting six or seven a year). You might try that if you can tolerate yogurt.

thankyou for the suggestion.. i have heard that before. im already so prone to having all of my good bacteria "compromised" that i ALREADY take probiotics every day.

im sure i could be more vigilant while on antibiotics..

but unless im in the hospital or am at risk for a SERIOUS infection-> then i stick to either Ionized Silver or Grapefruit Seed Extract when im sick

i guess the above stated Lyme Disease would be serious enough to warrant antibiotics.

sorry for the lengthy rant... i just DESPISE antibiotics.

Archived