2 replies to this topic

#1 trents

trents

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

My wife would like to start making her own soy milk. Can anyone recommend a brand/model of soy milk maker?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Not sure about a maker, but there are instructions for making soy and/or other milk which doesn't require anything special at all. For soy and nut milks, it often involves using cheese cloth to strain it. I think the basic idea is to cook soy flour in water, strain it, and add vanilla and sweetener if desired. A little xanthan gives it a nice creamy consistency, which is what you'll find listed on the ingredients list of most brands of non-dairy milks.

Nut milks are perhaps the quickest to make, as there is no cooking required. Just put some nuts in the blender with water, process until smooth, add sweetener, etc. Straining is optional, but probably won't be necessary if your blender's blades are sharp enough, and you run it for a sufficient amount of time.

A search for recipes should turn up plenty, though there's really no trick to it IMHO.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:30 AM

I know they can't be that expensive or complicated because my sister has one. I'll ask her what kind she likes when I talk with her next!

ETA: This is what she directed me to. She says she had a SoyQuick, but she broke it by washing it. Also probably because she is a klutz (she and I are so alike ... )

Review of soy milk makers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: