This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Liquid Iron Supplement: Floradix Floravital Iron & Herbs Liquid Question

Trymester

Trymester Contributor

So, there was a post not too long ago about Liquid Iron Supplement: I take Floradix Floravital Iron & Herbs liquid. IT is supposed to allow iron to be absorbed more easily for those that are not having success absorbing the iron from tablets or pills. In that thread (located somewhere in this forum), someone else mentioned that it wouldn't absorb the iron properly unless one's Magnesium levels were normal. Do you agree with this?

1.) How does one check their magnesium levels on a blood test? Is it clearly labeled?

2.)Um...will those of you who take Magnesium supplements name which brand work for you? Which have actually shown improvement for you? Solgar, Now Brand, etc.

Please share your opinion. I appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I believe the nutrient that is needed for facilitating iron utilization is manganese, not magnesium, and I believe I'm the person who wrote it initially in that earlier posting. I've copied the following information from Open Original Shared Link and the information you seek is listed in No. 11 below:

How Manganese Benefits Health. Manganese is an essential nutrient in many ways. Its key role is in the activation of enzymes that are needed for the digestion and utilization of foods and nutrients.

It also plays a role in reproduction and bone growth. It is sometimes called the 'brain' mineral, as it is important to mental function.

The main ways that manganese benefits the body are summarized here.

:: Manganese Benefits & Functions

1. activates enzymes needed to digest and synthesize fatty acids and cholesterol, and metabolize carbohydrates and proteins

2. important for energy production

3. activates enzymes that enable the utilization of other key nutrients like vitamin B1 (thiamine), biotin, choline, ascorbic acid, and vitamin E

4. manganese-activated enzymes are also important to normal bone and cartilage growth, and keep bones strong and healthy

5. needed for collagen formation in skin cells, which is required for healing of wounds

6. component of metalloenzymes needed for a number of functions that include synthesizing glutamine, and glucose metabolism, which helps regulate blood sugar balance

7. needed to make manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), one of the key antioxidants that protects cells from free radical damage, and so helps maintain a healthy immune system

8. required for production of sex hormones, fertility, reproductive health, and lactation

9. maintains healthy nerves

10. supports optimal function of the thyroid gland and thyroxine production

11. essential for proper iron metabolism and so helps prevent anemia

12. works with the B-complex vitamins to generate overall feeling of well-being

Oh, and with regard to your question about magnesium, this is a supplement that just about everyone should be taking, regardless of whether he/she has celiac. Some brands are difficult to digest and cause diarrhea, but I've had good experiences with both Nature's Way Magnesium Complex and Bluebonnet's liquid magnesium.

Trymester Contributor

Just stopping in to say: Thank You very much for your reply. I am very busy right now and will look at that info. a little later when I can properly "digest" it. Um...in the store yesterday I saw Maganese or Magnesium in powder form. It was the NOW brand, which was recommended because its free of gluten, soy, and many other potential problematic foods.

Trymester Contributor

I haven't read through the Manganese benefits yet (I've been busy), but I just randomly read in wikipedia (usually a good source) that 1 serving of pineapple provides 91% daily value of Manganese

Then again, because our systems are damaged, we may not be able to absorb it from the pineapples. Because I eat pineapples often. Maybe I am getting enough. I guess I should look at my blood labs.

thleensd Enthusiast

I take Floravital, it's a lifesaver for me. BUT, Iron absorption is easily affected by other things. This explains it pretty easily:

Open Original Shared Link

YES, I believe we should all be taking Magnesium (I take a liquid form), but when you take it is important. Take Magnesium with Calcium and D...but don't take it at the same time you take your iron.

BTW, the Mag I take is "Mega Mag" by trace minerals research. I usually drop it in some apple juice and chug it (shot style!) ... doesn't taste that good.

• 2 months later...
RebeccaLynn Rookie

Interesting! I also take Floravital and LOVE it! I am thinking I need to get the Flora Calcium/Magnesium as well. Thanks for the great info on manganese!

Minnie777 Newbie

I take both Floravital yeast free(half dose only) and Flora liquid Calcium /Magnesium.

Also: liquid Garden of Life Vitamin Code Multi, Hubner Silica gel liquid, liquid Glucosamin, lemon-flavored Norwegian cod liver oil (liquid in a bottle, not the capsules)

all mixed together with water. It's not the best tasting cocktail, but it agrees with me and seems to work well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived