20 replies to this topic

#16 brendab

brendab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

This is a good thread to read through, although I don't understand the numbers in the first several posts. I am normally off of gluten but I fall and become instantly addicted before I jump back on the gluten free wagon and within 20 min. I have stomach pain followed by gas cramps and terrible smelling gas. (sorry, had to go there) I also get neuro. symptoms as well with the two worst being severe fatigue and ADD.

Well, back on the wagon I go!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Quote How Sensitive Are You? Helping each other out End Quote

I tear-up sometimes watching sappy movies. Ooops, prolly not what you meant! :)

I stay with mostly whole foods, so I don't know how sensitive I am now really. There are not a lot of processed foods I could eat anyway due to my other food intolerances. I used to think I was very sensitive, before I eliminated all my other food intolerances. Basically anything was problem when I was sick and my gut was already irritated.

Nowadays I am still careful about what I eat, and seldom go out to restaraunts. I have a gluten free house, and my cat (Muffin) has gluten free food and treats now.

I do use Barbasol shaving cream, and home made soap that my cousin makes.

I don't try new processed foods very often, but mainly stick with things that I already know work for me.

So far frozen veggies are ok for me, and I seldom have any problem with canned veggies except for some beans. But I don't think that is gluten, just a reaction to the beans themselves.

I do avoid foods that are processed on shared equipment most of the time. I also avoid things that make me sick, whether they are gluten-free or not, or made on shared equipment or not, or are organic and healthy or not.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 BumbleBee91

BumbleBee91

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

This is my first time posting so hopefully I'e got this in the right place.

I've been diagnosed coeliac disease since Sept 2011 and been gluten-free since about Nov 2011 (didn't have the knowledge of a true gluten-free diet beforehand). Im still getting symptoms every so often though and reading through this it made me think that maybe Im reacting to products labelled gluten-free which aren't really, are you saying that a product can be labelled gluten-free but may still have some small amount of gluten that I could react to? I thought gluten-free would immediately mean that it is and has been tested and is also made in a factory that is gluten-free? And how did you all find out that you're sensitive to less than 5ppm etc?

Thanks

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

It is a matter of trial and error. Keeping a journal with what you eat and how you feel can be very helpful. It can reveal other food intolerances as well as trace gluten issues. I try to only add one new food a week so that I can more easily tell what has bothered me if I do have a reaction.
Good luck.

#20 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I also have noticed that my "oat essence" hand cream is causing me problems when I touch my face at all.

If it's an allergy reaction, you may also have issues with oats. My issues are allergy-related, and I have problems with even the certified gluten-free oats and oat flours. However, if it is a gluten-free facility that also produces oats and oat flours, it's not as big of a deal for me.

#21 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'd say I'm very sensitive. I've had reactions to lunchmeat sliced on a machine that looked clean, and from fruit cut up on an all purpose cutting board. I don't eat any gluten-free replacement type foods, like bread. I stick to a mostly whole foods diet.
I don't eat anything that says it's made on shared equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: