Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sugar Intolerance?

4 posts in this topic

Is it possible to have an intolerance to sugar? In trying to figure out what other problems I had besides gluten, I did an IgG blood spot food-allergy test. One of the things that came back positive was cane sugar. This would explain the problem I had with Udi

Ads by Google:

Is it possible to have an intolerance to sugar? In trying to figure out what other problems I had besides gluten, I did an IgG blood spot food-allergy test. One of the things that came back positive was cane sugar. This would explain the problem I had with Udis bread and Betty Crocker Cookie Mix. I dumped all my sugar and refilled with beet sugar, rather than the cane sugar. A week ago when I craved something sweet, I put cinnamon sugar on my rice cakes. I did this for four days in a row. My symptoms are delayed about three days and last three days, so, yes, I had seven not good days. So its not just cane sugarits all sugar.

Im trying to figure this out. I dont seem to have any problem with fruitsI regularly eat four servings a dayblueberries and banana in my smoothie in the morning and a fruit with each of the other meals. But I think I may have a problem with raisins and datesLara Bars dont work for me. Also honey and xylitol may be a problem.

Ive been reading some of the technical stuff (which I really dont understand) about sugar, sucrose, fructose, fructose, etc. Can anyone help me understand this?

I was also diagnosed by ELISA blood test with cane sugar allergy. (You can call it an intolerance, but it's an immune reaction on the blood test.) I can safely eat any sweetner, which is not derived from cane sugar. So I can eat honey, maple syrup, rice syrup, corn syrup, fruit juice sweeteners, stevia, beet sugar and any fruits which are not sweetened with cane sugar. I don't tolerate any of the 'tol' sweeteners (like sorbitol, xylitol, etc.), because I have leaky gut damage. Here are names of cane sugar derived products, which you should avoid:

Cane juice

Evaporated cane juice

Any packaged sugar which is not derived from beets

molasses

treacle

Sucralose (Splenda)

Glucuse, fructose and disaccharides can be derived from a variety of sources, including cane sugar. Most of the time those are not derived from cane sugar, but it's almost impossible to determine the source when reading ingredients.

What sort of reaction do you have? Have you been tested for diabetes or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease?

I have a low tolerance for sugars and carbohydrates. It's been pretty easy for me to stick to a fairly low carbohydrate diet, as well as gluten free. If I eat refined cane sugar, or other high sugar content sweeteners it makes me nauseous. I don't like nausesous. Low-caloric natural sweeteners like xylitol or erythritol or stevia don't have the same effect.

My reactions to sugar are basically the same as my reactions to gluten. GI-diarrhea, fatigue, sinus, sleep problems, neuropathy, brain fog. That's why I thought it must be CC, but when I looked at my food journals and journaling of symptoms I realized that it was the sugar causing the problems. I use stevia daily with no problem, but even my chewing gum with xylitol seems to be a problem.