3 replies to this topic

#1 Lori2

Lori2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Is it possible to have an intolerance to sugar? In trying to figure out what other problems I had besides gluten, I did an IgG blood spot food-allergy test. One of the things that came back positive was cane sugar. This would explain the problem I had with Udiís bread and Betty Crocker Cookie Mix. I dumped all my sugar and refilled with beet sugar, rather than the cane sugar. A week ago when I craved something sweet, I put cinnamon sugar on my rice cakes. I did this for four days in a row. My symptoms are delayed about three days and last three days, so, yes, I had seven not good days. So itís not just cane sugaróitís all sugar.

Iím trying to figure this out. I donít seem to have any problem with fruitsóI regularly eat four servings a dayóblueberries and banana in my smoothie in the morning and a fruit with each of the other meals. But I think I may have a problem with raisins and datesóLara Bars donít work for me. Also honey and xylitol may be a problem.

Iíve been reading some of the technical stuff (which I really donít understand) about sugar, sucrose, fructose, fructose, etc. Can anyone help me understand this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Is it possible to have an intolerance to sugar? In trying to figure out what other problems I had besides gluten, I did an IgG blood spot food-allergy test. One of the things that came back positive was cane sugar. This would explain the problem I had with Udi’s bread and Betty Crocker Cookie Mix. I dumped all my sugar and refilled with beet sugar, rather than the cane sugar. A week ago when I craved something sweet, I put cinnamon sugar on my rice cakes. I did this for four days in a row. My symptoms are delayed about three days and last three days, so, yes, I had seven not good days. So it’s not just cane sugar—it’s all sugar.

I’m trying to figure this out. I don’t seem to have any problem with fruits—I regularly eat four servings a day—blueberries and banana in my smoothie in the morning and a fruit with each of the other meals. But I think I may have a problem with raisins and dates—Lara Bars don’t work for me. Also honey and xylitol may be a problem.

I’ve been reading some of the technical stuff (which I really don’t understand) about sugar, sucrose, fructose, fructose, etc. Can anyone help me understand this?

I was also diagnosed by ELISA blood test with cane sugar allergy. (You can call it an intolerance, but it's an immune reaction on the blood test.) I can safely eat any sweetner, which is not derived from cane sugar. So I can eat honey, maple syrup, rice syrup, corn syrup, fruit juice sweeteners, stevia, beet sugar and any fruits which are not sweetened with cane sugar. I don't tolerate any of the 'tol' sweeteners (like sorbitol, xylitol, etc.), because I have leaky gut damage. Here are names of cane sugar derived products, which you should avoid:

Cane juice
Evaporated cane juice
Any packaged sugar which is not derived from beets
molasses
treacle
Sucralose (Splenda)
Glucuse, fructose and disaccharides can be derived from a variety of sources, including cane sugar. Most of the time those are not derived from cane sugar, but it's almost impossible to determine the source when reading ingredients.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

What sort of reaction do you have? Have you been tested for diabetes or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease?

I have a low tolerance for sugars and carbohydrates. It's been pretty easy for me to stick to a fairly low carbohydrate diet, as well as gluten free. If I eat refined cane sugar, or other high sugar content sweeteners it makes me nauseous. I don't like nausesous. Low-caloric natural sweeteners like xylitol or erythritol or stevia don't have the same effect.

#4 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

My reactions to sugar are basically the same as my reactions to gluten. GI-diarrhea, fatigue, sinus, sleep problems, neuropathy, brain fog. That's why I thought it must be CC, but when I looked at my food journals and journaling of symptoms I realized that it was the sugar causing the problems. I use stevia daily with no problem, but even my chewing gum with xylitol seems to be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: