7 replies to this topic

#1 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

No more wheat, rye, barley, and sometimes oats was rough, but I've done it for 10 years. It's a no brainer. If I can't cook it myself, I don't eat it. It really wasn't that hard.

Years later, it became pretty obvious that dairy doesn't like me much anymore. That's been MUCH harder. You can't recreate cheese and butter. I avoid it as much as possible, but do eat it sometimes.

Now, I can no longer deny that alcohol doesn't like me anymore either. Now I'm starting to feel sorry myself. This is not fair!!

Yea, I know... but I can't even have cheese with my whine!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Oh My Word! I am so sorry!! I've been gluten-free for 1 1/2 years now and finally adjusted.
Yeah - it isn't fair. I mean, why after 10 years is this just now showing up???? God, that is scary and frustrating. For 10 years you have been
faithful and diligent and NOW you get other issues? What the heck??? I am soooooo sorry! I can't offer advice but I can give a cyber hug.

On a brighter note - Enjoy Life makes dairy free chocolate! :)

Feel for you,
Wendi
Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"
Uhhh.....yeah!
DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!
DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.
Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

#3 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Ugh. I know the feeling of finding one more thing. Last week I realized sorghum is off my safe list. That means no more Bard's Tale beer (or any other gluten-free beer). May I suggest as a decadent treat, a wheel of Dr. Cow aged cashew nut cheese? On your favorite rice crackers (or as plain wedges) it tastes like the honest to goodness memory of cheese. It has tang and bite like cheddar. It spreads. It contains only nuts, salt, and acidopholus. It's expensive, but sometimes one just plain deserves it. Go get you some cheese for your whine! :)
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#4 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

That sucks. I would have myself a serious cry if my body started rejecting dairy.

I can't drink coffee. I feel glutened for 3-4 hours if I do. I have honestly found going without coffee almost as hard as being gluten free. Obviously it's easy to avoid but I don't drink alcohol so coffee was my social drink (not to mention my delicious way to wake up in the morning).

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#5 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Have you tried aged cheese? Or lactose enzymes? Dairy was my hard one too, subs just do not work as they have too much other stuff in them that I react to. I hear you with the alcohol. I have had to stay away from it myself and I used to dearly love cooking dinner, munching on some wonderful cheese while sipping on wine. I have had to limit myself one glass twice a week! You'd think I'd lose weight with all I have cut out of my diet, hum??
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#6 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

I agree this completely limits your options - I have to avoid dairy, soy, gluten obviously and bloody corn too which is even worse than dairy at limiting your food options as almost all gluten free foods contain at least some 'maize' or other corn derivative and that includes multivitamins. So in essence, I empathise entirely!!

Just out of interest how did you determine dairy was problematic? What are your symptoms?

Alcohol will generally be bad to all persons due to the fact it is a mild diuretic, gets into every cell of your body and let's not beat about the bush here...a poison, however mild or tolerated. I would expect you to cope with this relatively mild stress unless you are in the middle of a gluten reaction, where your body - specifically your adrenal glands - are having to deal with all the inflammation caused by your reaction. On top of other things, such as stress generally in your life, your adrenals may be struggling to keep up.

I can't drink any alcohol in the 2 weeks of my reaction, after-which my resistance goes back to a level I would consider normal. I know you say you've been gluten-free for 10 years, and have a lot more experience than me, but I thought it might be helpful to add.

Another thought could be leaky gut, but after 10 years of being gluten-free I think this is doubtful. I would hypothesise that most leaky gut is caused by the reaction to gluten and for any other chronic inflammatory stomach/gut/bowel diseases.
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#7 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

It is hard with more restrictions, but you can do this.
First try probiotics to make sure you gut is as healthy as possible. (I think alcohol and cheese are harder on your gut when there is a yeast overgrowth.)
If these foods are really out it is time to concentrate on what you can have. Hummus can have "creamy" cheese texture, and a good source of protein. I really love The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook, by Cybele Pascal.
Michigan

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

There was a poster here a while back who figured out a gluten-free diet can be low in molybdenum (grains are a major source), which is needed to metabolize alcohol properly. He started on a trace mineral supplement and recovered better alcohol tolerance. Maybe it will help you. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: