9 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie48

Debbie48

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

Does anyone else have hand tremors? Shaky/jerky fingers?

I've had so many strange symptoms for the past 7 months and they're only getting worse. I'm trying to figure out what is going on, but doctors don't have a clue.

When my blood work came back positive on the antigliadin antibodies a few weeks ago, I was hopeful that this might be the cause. The shaky fingers, almost like Parkinson's Disease seems so strange for celiac. Is it? Does anyone else have this?

I continue to do research to try to figure out what's going on. I have muscle cramping in my upper arms. The lower part of my body has more numbness and tingling than anything else.

Yesterday, I felt like I had a slightly better day. This morning already has been horrible, especially the shaking and arms cramps.

I made sausage and sourkraut last night. I looked up about the Hillshire Farms sausage and it said it was gluten free. What about Franks quality Kraut? Anyone know about that? I assumed it was gluten free, but I so new to reading labels.

Ingredients of the kraut:
cabbage, water, benzoate of soda, and sodium metabisulfite added as preservatives. Was it the preservatives?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

There isn't any gluten in the kraut, could just be a coincidence?

I have a book here called "Recognizing Celiac Disease
signs, symptoms, associated disorders & complications"
I recommend this book very highly.
In it, you can look up any symptom and it tells which vitamin/mineral you're low on and tells which foods contain it. Or you can get a gluten-free supplement.
For tremors/neuromuscular disturbances it says the culprit is low magnesium and/or phosphorus. For now it might be best to take a supplement?
The numbness/tingling can be low B12. You can get sublingual B12(you place it under your tongue and it's absorbed better).
If you have damage in your intestine it's not absorbing the nutrients from your food like it should.

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yep, I have shaky fingers. They shake left to right not up and down. It's especially bad if I try to do the "Spock" move.

It started with my left hand - thumb actually. Then I went gluten-free and it almost disappeared. Then it came back. Now it's gone again, but my hands hurt like someone slammed an encyclopedia down in them. I'm also in the middle of an allergy attack/cold and lots of muscles ache and my nose is so stopped up I can't even make a Neti Pot work...

I wasn't low in B's but am low in D and iron. If I am super-strict about taking my supplaments I think lots of things improve. I also think right now I am dealing with a glutening (ate out a lot during the holiday and I think it accumulated).

It's a mess.

My ND says its neuro damage from the Celiac but I think I want to look into it more. I'm wondering RA.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

My hands shook so bad before diagnosis that doctors thought I was hiding alcoholism. I wasn't. Between the shaking and the severe arthritis it made it hard to do anything. Shaking and the arthritis both resolved gluten free. It is amazing how many different parts of the body can be impacted by this disease.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, and as long as I take extra magnesium and potassium I do fine. If I back off they start again. Also, blame some of my stiffness to lack of magnesium especially my back. I had terrible stiffness in my back and neck and did everything to get it to move and then one day realized I had backed off my magnesium, upped it again and it went away. Another supplement I have added to help all my muscles is manganese. I did some reading on it and it is very good for the body.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#6 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

I don't know if I have celiac disease. I was gluten-free for a year and now am doing a gluten challenge so I can get tested.

Anyway, I wanted to add that I have shaky hands. It got much better and barely noticeable when I was gluten-free (and on GAPS), but came back a couple weeks into my gluten challenge. My partner noticed it the other day, so I know it's not just me imagining things.

My hands also stopped being able to make a fist in the morning and I have some mild joint pains in my hands and toes, plus bone pain in my shins below my knees. I also have persistent tingling in my face and my legs fall asleep a lot, and I wake up with paresthesia in weird places all over my body. These (and many other symptoms) are not super extreme for me, I'm very functional still. However, they went away on GAPS/gluten-free and are back now that I am doing the challenge. I've also started to get really bad muscle cramps in weird places.

My son had bone and joint problems and pain and muscle cramps, (in addition to a whole lot of other symptoms). In fact this landed him in emergency surgery and is the reason we decided to try a gluten-free diet. It set us on this road.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

I had shaky hands. I felt like I could not get them to do what I wanted. I could not lift things, open things, or carry things while very ill from Un- Dxed Celiac. I shook all over actually--legs, too.

My hands hurt so bad, I cried. Yes, I have osteoarthritis, but the pain and shakiness made no sense. I have body -wide muscle/joint/bone pain and nerve damage and major loss of muscle mass, but it is slowly resolving and I hope for the best.

My hands no longer shake and my hands are increasingly stronger each month I am off gluten.

Hang in there--you're just beginning to heal. It will get better. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I had the shaky hands too and legs as well. Sometimes I thought they were going to give out on me. Much better now. I can reach for things with the trembling. It made me feel so feeble!

There is a typo here....I meant to say that "I can reach for things without the trembling now".....sorry about that.
Gluten Free since 2010

#9 hspichke

hspichke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have a tremor, which was first said to be from the temporary hyperthyroidism I got after having my son but that is now back to normal and my hands are still shakey. I just found out that my entire celiac panel was positive, but I have not gone gluten free yet. ( waiting for endoscopy) So it could be a symptom?
Asthma, Hyperthyroidism (After childbirth), Endometriosis, Migraines with aura, Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, Celiac Disease.

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

i had the shaky hands as well. gone. one more thing i can check off the list of things i thought were something else (that i was going to die of.) i am alot less spastic, also, as in i can catch that pencil rolling off the table or that jar of stuff falling out of the fridger.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: