This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegas Baby! And Hawaii Too...

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

I am headed to Las Vegas not once, but twice in the next three months. I am a LITTLE concerned. I am a sensitive celiac and have only travelled once since going gluten free. The trip was successful with no glutening but it was sure not very fun :/ I took a loaf of UDI's bread and some peanut butter and some other snack stuff. It was a last minute family thing and I was completely unprepared. The town I visited had NO restaurants or stores with any gluten free options - it was up on the coast totally cut off from everything. That experience was OKAY but I'm thinking a city like Vegas might actually have some fun options for me? Also, I am honeymooning in Hawaii! We haven't chosen the island yet - we have access to a time share on any one of the islands. Any advice on which would be the best for being gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MrsVJW Newbie

Vegas is VERY easy to do gluten-free. Do your research before you go... check out where you are staying and what is nearby, a lot of the restaurants have gluten-free menus (either on their site, or e-mail and ask). There are lots of options, and most places (beyond just the P.F. Changs and Outback) are very good at dealing with gluten-free requests. You'll do best dealing with sit-down places, but it's not hard to eat gluten-free on vacation in Vegas.

kenlove Rising Star

In Hawaii it really depends on where you stay. Here on the big island many of the resorts have dedicated areas for gluten-free foods.

12% of the guests require some dietary speciality like gluten-free, raw or vegan.

there are a lot of health foods stores here in kona, maui and oahu.

I got married in in vegas so kind of the opposite from you. Kona coast resort is a nice time share and you can always drive to many of he restaurants. you can walk across the street from there to the shopping center but the only thing to eat is steamed veggies at the Thai place. once you decide let me know and i'll think of some other things

ken

I am headed to Las Vegas not once, but twice in the next three months. I am a LITTLE concerned. I am a sensitive celiac and have only travelled once since going gluten free. The trip was successful with no glutening but it was sure not very fun :/ I took a loaf of UDI's bread and some peanut butter and some other snack stuff. It was a last minute family thing and I was completely unprepared. The town I visited had NO restaurants or stores with any gluten free options - it was up on the coast totally cut off from everything. That experience was OKAY but I'm thinking a city like Vegas might actually have some fun options for me? Also, I am honeymooning in Hawaii! We haven't chosen the island yet - we have access to a time share on any one of the islands. Any advice on which would be the best for being gluten-free?

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Vegas has a great Whole Foods, about 2 miles south of the airport, load up there. Ask your hotel for a mini-fridge (some even have a microwave). This makes it super easy for many meals.

There are a few Chipotles and Pei Wei's in the metro area (including a Chipotle near the Whole Foods).

PF Chang's is mid-strip too, in the Planet Hollywood.

Search this site for info on Hawaii (and Vegas).

Lopott Newbie

We went to Kauai on our honeymoon and stayed in the town of Kapaa which had the wicked awesome Sweet Marie's (best muffins ever), a health food store and a Safeway's that carried ridiculous numbers of gluten free stuff, plus there were great restaurants all over the island, particularly the fish market in Princeville, near Hanalei Bay, and Brenneke's in Poipu! I haven't been to the other islands but based on my experience, eating gluten-free in Kauai is super-duper easy and tasty.

• 3 weeks later...
sfamor Rookie

I actually just put a post up about my wonderful trip to Kauai. It was so gluten-free friendly I still can not quite believe it! We stayed at the Cliffs Resort timeshare in Princeville through RCI and would definitely recommend it.

Archived