Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Kirkland Brand Canned Chicken Breasts, Gluten Free Or Not?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 BethM55

BethM55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

The most recent post on Kirkland canned chicken breast is from 2010.

So. Is this still safe and gluten free? Or, what is the best way to contact CostCo for information? Last time I tried that it was a very frustrating experience. :(

Something 'got' me this morning, probably something I ate yesterday. (Usually I react about 18 hours after contact.) The canned chicken is the only thing I can think of from yesterday's food list, unless the culprit is from Wednesday. I can't think back that far, as this has not been a good week for me, physically or energetically. LOTS of brain fog and fatigue since last weekend.

I hope the Kirkland canned chicken is ok. It's a good 'go to' when I need some instant protein and nothing else is easily available.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hey Beth! I have never tried the Kirkland brand chicken breast, but I found their canned tuna and salmon to be safe and I am sensitive to gluten under 5ppm. Could you be sensitive to soy or anything else that many celiacs react to?

Trust your body! Maybe try eating everything else again to make sure you haven't developed some sort of other intolerance, and if they're ok, I'd say the chicken may be no good... Let me know what you find out! I'd be interested in that product if you find it's safe. Feel better! :)

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've eaten it with no problem. If I remember correctly it's got some corn maltodextrin or starch but not gluten or any sort of wheat warning but it's been awhile since I looked at the label.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I can't think back that far, as this has not been a good week for me, physically or energetically. LOTS of brain fog and fatigue since last weekend.

This jumped out at me, so I am wondering if something "got you last weekend" and this is residual? Just suggesting! My glutening "effects" lasts about 2 weeks and I can never determine what it was that got me in the first place. Makes me nuts.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 BethM55

BethM55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't think I have any other sensitivities, but have wondered lately if I might. I think I've been a bit hypersensitive since I returned from visiting family during the first week of April. I was careful, and the family generally tries to be sure I eat safely, but out of my own kitchen for a week is tricky, and it was an emotionally trying week, in addition. I haven't felt great since I got home, so it's entirely possible that something else entirely 'got' me. I've eaten the canned chicken breast before without problems, so this surprised me.

I'm wondering if I may have a cow dairy sensitivity. My sister is allergic to cow dairy, and lactose intolerance is common in the family. I've been decreasing dairy and switching to goat dairy products. Somehow stopping cow dairy is quite daunting for me. Worse than going gluten free was!

I'll try to contact CostCo, although that will have to wait until I have time to tackle that project.

Thank you all for your replies!
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: