5 replies to this topic

#1 RashyA

RashyA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have been taking an anti anxiety pill for about a year and a half. It is citalopram. I've heard that celiacs causes anxiety. I was wondering if I should talk to my doctor about stopping it but since my bloodwork ca,e back neg. and I'm self diagnosed I didn't know if he'll believe I should come off it :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ukdan

ukdan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I am also self diagnosed and currently on citalopram- whether you stay on them is entirely up to you and how you feel so I don't personally think anyone can tell you when it is the 'right' time to come off them.

For me personally I'm giving the diet a chance to settle in before putting my stomach through the withdrawal symptoms but at the end of the day only you know how you feel.

Hope that helps and all the best for your recovery!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,679 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Go ahead and talk to your doctor about it. DO NOT just stop taking the med without talking to your doctor first. You may need to taper off the drug. Tapering would also, I think, let you know if your anxiety med is still needed. For some of us anxiety resolves gluten-free but for others the diet doesn't make much difference.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I agree with Raven

and if you decide to come off the meds, I STRONGLY suggest slowly tapering off the meds. I tried low dose xanax for a few months (while still sick and undiagnosed and it did not really help me much, so I stopped it cold turkey. Not wise.)

Coming off anti-anxiety meds will produce withdrawal symptoms and can sometimes create "rebound anxiety".

I developed severe anxiety while ill from celiac/gluten, but it has disappeared :) and only returns slightly with a glutening. My doc gave me a low dose of xanax to keep in the house just in case.

For many people, the gluten-driven anxiety resolves. For others, it lingers.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I had such depression and anxiety that I was almost suicidal. My Dr have me Cymbalta, that I think helped me amazingly.However, I since learned that gluten can be a neuro toxin, so last December I decided to try tapering off and I am OK. Actually better than OK. It may be worth a try but please please please make sure your Dr knows and even alert loved ones in case there are changes in your personality.
All the best!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#6 RashyA

RashyA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies! You're definitely right on the tapering off. I'll talk to my dr. I hope it goes away with new diet! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: