7 replies to this topic

#1 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

I live in Australia. It seems that here hugging is a pretty normal/acceptable kind of physical response to meeting friends/family. It is family dependent but I wonder if hugging is or is not a normal response within other cultures?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

I live in Australia. It seems that here hugging is a pretty normal/acceptable kind of physical response to meeting friends/family. It is family dependent but I wonder if hugging is or is not a normal response within other cultures?

I'm in USA. It kind of depends on the family here? We weren't huggers in my family.
Before I married my husband we went to a family reunion of his family. They were huggers. It was so odd to me to have strangers come up to me and nearly squeeze my breath out! :blink: I never did get used to that in all of the years I've been in the family. :lol:

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

My husband's family is Norwegian and they are super huggers. My family, not so much.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

USA --Boston Bred.

My family and friends---we're all a bunch of molesters! :lol:
Overly-enthusiastic even.

(Irish, Italian, Armenian, giant mixed bag of people....)

I hug freely. But only if I know it's okay with someone. (I respect boundaries) I always told my Dad, "you give good hug." :)
He said "right back atcha!"

Long good byes at family gatherings involved multiple group huggings.

And hubs, well, he gives the big, all encompassing bear hug.
But he learned it from me.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

It is very normal where I live in Canada. Half my family hugs like crazy; half stand stiffly and look as though they are being tortured. I am a hugger but as a very private person only hug those I know very well. Having said that, the odd time I hug spontaneously if I am moved to do it emotionally (i.e. if someone is terminally ill).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't like hugging. It's reserved only for specific people at specific times but I'm weird that way.

Half my family hugs and kisses left and right and they always laugh at my expression and explain I have to do it.

It's about personal space for me. I don't like to be touched.

And yes, I'm from the U.S.. Southern U.S.

Oddly enough it's the New Yorkers that always want to kiss and hug and touch. :) aside from my family (who are definitely southern).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

My family aren't really huggers. I grew up in Pennsylvania with a very close family, we just didn't hug. The exception is my grammy who is a hugger. Not like all the time, but with hellos and goodbyes. I live in Utah now and lots of people here are huggers. My best friend is a super hugger which took some real getting used to. Still though, the only people I'll let near me are her, my family back east and my husband. Anyone else gets in my bubble and things get pretty awkward pretty quick. I just like people a whole lot more when they are at least arm's length away from me.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 vella

vella

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

I come from a family of non-huggers, but I'm entirely opposite......I like ya, I hug. :)

The culture I come from are very warm and friendly people....Big sloppy kisses too.
One day I will be stress free...pff, who am I kidding ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: