This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restaurant Won't Let Me Bring In My Own Food

Newbee

kareng Grand Master

Hmmm....that's interesting. :) I am not sure what to think now because I called the ADA and they said that a celiac has the legal right to bring in their own food. Let me call backand try to be more specific!

That would be great! See if she can email you the exact part of the ADA pertaining to Celiac/digestive disorders. Get her to email any court rulings about how restauraunts must ignore the State or county Health regulations to accomadate us. Then copy them here. It would be very helpful.

If you don't feel comfortable giving her your email, just make a new one on gmail or yahoo. I keep one jsut for inquiries like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maximoo Enthusiast

OP, you 've had your business lunch by now. What happened? How did you finally decide to handle it?

katerzz Newbie

It's against the health code in many states to allow any outside food to be brought into a restaurant. They aren't being unreasonable, they are covering their own butt.

My husband has several "work lunches" he has to deal with. He always find something to eat.. or he eats before hand. Fruit, Veggies, Baked Potatoes.. typically safe. Therefore you cannot use "ADA" claim. There is always something at a restaurant you can eat... even if its something as simple as orange. They don't have to provide you something you LIKE or WANT.

I am actually kind of put off that people would use the disability claim in this situation.

--->And also, really... a mom brought in mcdonalds french fries to a pizza palor and used the excuse their child was celiac?? Total bs. (I didnt read the article, just going from what people have posted)

kareng Grand Master

It's against the health code in many states to allow any outside food to be brought into a restaurant. They aren't being unreasonable, they are covering their own butt.

My husband has several "work lunches" he has to deal with. He always find something to eat.. or he eats before hand. Fruit, Veggies, Baked Potatoes.. typically safe. Therefore you cannot use "ADA" claim. There is always something at a restaurant you can eat... even if its something as simple as orange. They don't have to provide you something you LIKE or WANT.

I am actually kind of put off that people would use the disability claim in this situation.

--->And also, really... a mom brought in mcdonalds french fries to a pizza palor and used the excuse their child was celiac?? Total bs. (I didnt read the article, just going from what people have posted)

I thought that about the pizza parlor one, too. If she had brought a discreet lunch from home, they probably wouldn't have said anything. Instead, she brings in the McDonalds bag, advertising another restauraunt. Plus, I don't know how they could argue that the kid "needed" fries for his health.

cougie23 Explorer

I thought that about the pizza parlor one, too. If she had brought a discreet lunch from home, they probably wouldn't have said anything. Instead, she brings in the McDonalds bag, advertising another restauraunt. Plus, I don't know how they could argue that the kid "needed" fries for his health.

Not that I disagree with either of you...I toatally agree...especially about "for his health"...but....

Coming from the mom side of trying to keep things EQUAL...she was probably trying to do something...special...so the ONE kid didn't feel left out while everyone else got pizza! also Ibelieved that they were OUT...and it was desided on pizza for THE GROUP..so she was probably compensating...alla "spur of the moment and what was convenient!

We've done that with my shellfish allergy son when everyone else is having shrimp...he gets asuper gormet burger of his choice...especially if we're having crab!LOL!

But usreally...there is something on the menu for ALL of our dietary needs...(all 4 of us have special diet needs)...or we just won't go!we'll find a place that suits ALL of us!of course when out with a group...like little leauge or a school event...you can't do that and sometimes(if you don't have time to plan a head)...have to compensate!

But she should have been more descreet...no mcdonalds bag...dump it in a plate..(or napkin) ditch the bag!LOL!!! :P

katerzz Newbie

Not that I disagree with either of you...I toatally agree...especially about "for his health"...but....

Coming from the mom side of trying to keep things EQUAL...she was probably trying to do something...special...so the ONE kid didn't feel left out while everyone else got pizza! also Ibelieved that they were OUT...and it was desided on pizza for THE GROUP..so she was probably compensating...alla "spur of the moment and what was convenient!

We've done that with my shellfish allergy son when everyone else is having shrimp...he gets asuper gormet burger of his choice...especially if we're having crab!LOL!

But usreally...there is something on the menu for ALL of our dietary needs...(all 4 of us have special diet needs)...or we just won't go!we'll find a place that suits ALL of us!of course when out with a group...like little leauge or a school event...you can't do that and sometimes(if you don't have time to plan a head)...have to compensate!

But she should have been more descreet...no mcdonalds bag...dump it in a plate..(or napkin) ditch the bag!LOL!!! :P

The problem is... arguing that Mcdonalds fries are safer for a celiac is crazy! Maybe if she brought him some gluten free pizza then I'd buy it. I could care less if the fries were from another restaurant so much as McDonalds fries are (typically) not gluten free. As a mom with a son who has Celiac Disease it is my JOB to plan ahead, always. Even when it's a pain in my butt ;)

psawyer Proficient

The problem is... arguing that Mcdonalds fries are safer for a celiac is crazy! Maybe if she brought him some gluten free pizza then I'd buy it. I could care less if the fries were from another restaurant so much as McDonalds fries are (typically) not gluten free. As a mom with a son who has Celiac Disease it is my JOB to plan ahead, always. Even when it's a pain in my butt ;)

This thread is not the place to reopen the McFries discussion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

FWIW, the Pizza Hut apologized to this Mom and said they were retraining staff so in the end, bringing it in wasn't a big deal to them at all. I will say that the Mom said the kid had gluten AND dairy issues. I would never give my Celiac, dairy allergic kid a McDonalds fry. Ever. But to each his/her own, right.

Also, there are plenty of place I would never let my kid eat anything at and would 100% bring in food for them. If the establishment has an issue and asks us to leave, we will take our business elsewhere and speed the word that they are not helpful/understanding about food issues. I wouldn't trust "even and orange" from places.

Missandi Newbie

Yeah, that's tricky. If it were me, i would totally want to go to a team-building thing. And to build a team, it's important that others understand restrictions that others have. It builds morale to understand one another better. Look at it that way - this is a perfect opportunity to share something about yourself that others can relate to - i'm sure EVERYONE knows SOMEONE with some sort of food allergy - so they (including your 3rd boss) will digest that information, and move on - it doesn't have to be "all you talk about at work"

I would tell my 3rd boss here's what's going on, and i need to eat sir - so if you don't mind around 11:30 (or whatever time) I will bring MY lunch to my desk and eat before we all leave, i'm excited to participate - but i didn't want you to think i'm "just a picky eater and I don't like indian food". He/she will totally understand! This is something we're all used to doing: family functions, company picnics, first dates, etc...you just tell people and move forward. WE are all special and unique. Good luck and have lots of fun with your co-workers!

• 3 years later...
JustinBB Newbie

Hi, 

I am new to the world of Celiac. My daughter, age 2.5, and I have both been diagnose with Celiac and I am trying to navigate the outside world. I am a Stay at Home Dads with a 4 year old and 2.5 year old. We do not stay at home. We go out every day until nap then go back out most days after nap. I used to just buy what was easy while out and about and now I make everything and take food form our home. 

The issue is that I live a state that does not allow me to bring outside food into restaurants... that is ok. i just don't go to them. But there are a few indoor playgrounds that are also cafes... this hoses me. They are a bit of a travel for us but are so much fun for the three of us. They have some gluten-free options, which are sealed and come from gluten-free kitchens, but they are cookies and other food that I don't feed my kids, ok i don't feed them to them often. Regardless they do not constitute lunch.

So i come to my point. ADA is supposed to protect us as well. I know not to bring in peanut butter or other nuts and can respect the the intent of these rules to protect people with allergies. I can bring in carrots, string beans, apples, or cheeses. I want to offer my children food. not desert for a meal.  

I just tried to covertly bring in food for my daughter and me. I brought in some blueberries and an apple. I was told to please not do this again. That me bring in this food could cause them to lose their licence. I get it! i understand it! and do not want to cause hardship. 

Any ideas? I really dont want to stop patronizing some of these cafes but this may be my only option. 

kareng Grand Master

I use to take my kids to those places. We just went early and left at lunch time. Sometimes we bought a drink. Or go for a few hours in the afternoon and leave. Kids can play for a few hours without eating. You could also bring a blanket and go outside and picnic and come back in?

ADA doesn't really apply for choices. You have a choice to go to a play place. It isn't necessary for life. You aren't stuck there like you might be in a school dorm or a prison. Yes it sort of applies to wheelchairs, etc. But a kid in a chair can't do all the things a Celiac kid can in these places. It's still limited for them.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Eat before you go. Buy water. 

Archived